Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 25 - No name yet [Poison]

Info

Hello Poison, Will you be including the source of the silk in the drawn region as well? A Mulberry tree orchard with silkworms, or given the limestone karst and the way it can have caves pretty easily you could even go a more fantasy-based route and have spider-caves allowing a source of spider silk as well as, or instead of, the silkworms. To produce enough silk you'd need some larger than normal web-spinners, so there are other opportunities for commerce there as well. The spiders could be milked of their venom to allow harvesting the silk to be done more safely, then the poison could be sold on to the local Thieves/Assassins guild. If your spider eugenics program takes off you could get some which might take to training as mounts for small folk (be they kids or halflings or whatever real or fantasy race you have handy). I just thought I'd add some twists to the original concept, it's the way my brain works. Enjoy! Best wishes, niekell.
    Do not stare too long into the Abyss, lest the Abyss stare back into you.

Hi Niekell! I imagine the silk production will be more in Abu Lafia's hands, or maybe their enclave imports it from elsewhere. Those are some cool ideas though!

### Latest WIP ###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Guild-City-WIP.png 
Views:	109 
Size:	1.67 MB 
ID:	91736

I suppose it's time for me to add a WIP! Far from finished, but it's something.

Quote Originally Posted by niekell View Post
    Hello Poison, Will you be including the source of the silk in the drawn region as well? A Mulberry tree orchard with silkworms, or given the limestone karst and the way it can have caves pretty easily you could even go a more fantasy-based route and have spider-caves allowing a source of spider silk as well as, or instead of, the silkworms. To produce enough silk you'd need some larger than normal web-spinners, so there are other opportunities for commerce there as well. The spiders could be milked of their venom to allow harvesting the silk to be done more safely, then the poison could be sold on to the local Thieves/Assassins guild. If your spider eugenics program takes off you could get some which might take to training as mounts for small folk (be they kids or halflings or whatever real or fantasy race you have handy). I just thought I'd add some twists to the original concept, it's the way my brain works. Enjoy! Best wishes, niekell.
    Haha, this is so awesome Niekell, haven't read your post before but i was playing with quite similar ideas about an "alternative" (sorry, is this word spoiled now? ) silk source already. Due to the limited space left in the eastern part of my district, I was also thinking about placing the "silkworm equivalences" underground nourishing on some kind of fungus-gardens like termites have in their mounds. Also the mutualistic relationship, some ants have with aphids came to my mind as a funny idea to work on. To have some sort of venom (Poison? ) as a "byproduct" of the whole process is a really cool (and lucrative) idea.
    I have to give all these things some more thoughts i guess. I found a very informative article on "Silk Technology in the Sung Period (960-1278 A.D.)" by Dieter Kuhn where the ancient chinese silk reeling technology is described and discussed and a good overview of the whole process is given ( including: rearing, storing, boiling or not boiling, spooling, quilling, spinning and reeling XD). Well, i'll transfer the further discussion of these details in my own thread soon...

Due to lots of other things to do atm, i haven't worked much further on my guild city district the last days. What about you Poison, any initial sketches drawn yet?

EDIT: Oh my, major ninja attack! This is a fantastic layout of the buildings Poison! What will be your next steps?
    Last edited by Abu Lafia; 01-24-2017 at 02:54 PM.
    Map is not territory...
    Current work in progress:Korobrom | My finished maps
    My DeviantArt site and Twitter

The city is getting exciting! Imagine all these maps put together. It's going to be pretty cool.

Brilliant work, Poison

I'm loving the layout, and can't wait to see the colours

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Tonnichiwa's Avatar

Great looking buildings Poison. I'm looking forward to seeing what other tricks you have up your sleeve

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12