Thread: Getting started with 3D modeling for battlemaps?

Guild Adept Guild Sponsor

Question Getting started with 3D modeling for battlemaps?

I mostly work with Photoshop (plus Inkscape for some vector work, and so on) to make battle-maps for tabletop use. Periodically I'll need an asset for a map and can't find a suitable one that I like. For example, I recently needed a statue of a succubus. Although I did eventually find one that worked okay, I'm still not terribly happy with it.

I've been thinking that it might not be a bad idea to get some kind of 3D modelling program so that I can build my own assets. Things like statues, weirdly shaped tables, pillars, perhaps the odd unholy altar or similar. But It's been years since I did anything with 3D, and that was mostly noodle around with POV-ray in the Windows 95/98 days. I know little about what's out there, or how to get started, or which programs would be best suited to my purposes.

Where should I start?

Blog Entries

Top choice would be Blender followed by Sketchup for architectural stuff and maybe Wings3D also. For doing models of biological stuff like humans, animals and so on then have a think about using white plasticene, a digital camera and OpenSFM.

I did a tutorial about blender but that was a long time ago and I think UI has improved a lot since then but I made a snowman and some space ships etc. My blog on here is about the digital camera SFM methods which has improved no end in last couple of years.

If I were you, I'd get started with the free options where possible (ie Blender, and is Sketchup still free?) just to get your feet wet. Z Brush from what I can tell seems very good at sculpting and texturing organic models and the basic is relatively inexpensive (*compared to Studio 3D max and other professional suites that is). I've been considering getting the basic package to play around with.

This is the tutorial series I followed to get me into Blender. It is quite a hell of a learning curve, even with that though, but I think it's worth it.

I just made these two renders (untextured models) for a personal map I am working on, turning the turtle into a stone temple. I use Wings3D, my go to subdivisional surface modeler, that I find ideal for organic shapes - like a turtle!

GP

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	turtle-temple-3d.png 
Views:	36 
Size:	2.11 MB 
ID:	91443Click image for larger version. 

Name:	turtle-temple.png 
Views:	42 
Size:	2.98 MB 
ID:	91444
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Guild Adept Guild Sponsor

Great, thanks for the quick replies! I'll give Blender a shot. I've heard it's complex, but hey, mastering complex things is good for your brain in the long run even if it's hard and frustrating in the short term. So ... banzai!

You could try 3D Coat for organic modelling. The amateur version has a fair price and you get a full package: modelling, retopo, UV'ing and painting.

Wings3D for organic modeling is FREE.

While not the best I use Daz 3D for rendering and that's FREE too.

GP
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Guild Apprentice

Just a quick side note too, if you are just using it for 2D/Isometric maps it would be faster to render an untextured 3D model and do a paint over in Photoshop. Especially if you are are already familiar with Photoshop. Unless you just plan on doing a single material on what ever you model.