Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Road Battlemap

Wip Road Battlemap

So, after going through the battlemap tutorial, I decided to have a go at something using what I learned, a road (not an original idea). Here's what I've got so far of a short stretch of road, not finished as yet, and no land heights added so far.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	battlemap2.jpg 
Views:	150 
Size:	3.50 MB 
ID:	91655

Wip

Here's an update. I'm not totally sure about the hill on the right and I think the dandelions need blending in a bit better.

Name:	battlemap2a2.jpg 
Views:	149 
Size:	3.49 MB 
ID:	91884

The hill on the right looks pretty convincing to me

Perhaps the dandelions are standing out because their leaves are quite a different green to the grass. The dandelion green has a lot more blue in it, while the grass has quite a lot more yellow. If you look at a weedy lawn there's never that much of a difference in colour, though the dandelions tend to be just a tad darker. Not much though

Thanks! Yes, the dandelions in my lawn blend it much better. I thought a cover overlay could fix that. Here's an example, with an overlaid plant and a regular one:

Name:	dandsample.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	29.4 KB 
ID:	91893

It does overlay the flowers as well though.

The leaves on the overlaid one match the grass much better, but at the cost of the flowers and seed head. It may be better to work on the dandelion image separately, so that you can mask just the leaves and leave the flowers nice and bright?

Yes, I may have to remake them. They're all from a layered Photoshop image, so it's not catastrophic; I'll just need to move the various heads around again and make new images.

Guild Adept Guild Sponsor

Could you just mask the portion of the overlay layer on the dandelions to omit the heads from the adjustment effect?

Quote Originally Posted by wdmartin View Post
    Could you just mask the portion of the overlay layer on the dandelions to omit the heads from the adjustment effect?
    Probably, but given the number of heads and their size, I think it's going to be easier and quicker to simply remake them. There are only half the number of dandelions there appear to be, and they all have the same leaves.

Altered the dandelions. I wonder if I should add some shadows to them? Tiny ones admittedly. Maybe some trees as well on the left.

Name:	battlemap2a2.jpg 
Views:	221 
Size:	3.48 MB 
ID:	91934

I don't think the dandelions need any shadows. They usually form flattened rosettes in the grass when the grass is short, so only the flowers would cast any shadows, if that.

I would concentrate more on the larger objects in the map first - like the trees

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast