Page 7 of 29 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast

Thread: Voolf's miscellaneous art

Outstanding perspective but I'd recommend not to show sea that way. Maybe show it with color instead.

Love the horizon view
    The whole thing is beautifully drawn, Voolf.
    Kaitlin Gray - Art, Maps, Etc | Patreon | Instagram

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasR View Post
    Outstanding perspective but I'd recommend not to show sea that way. Maybe show it with color instead.
    I will try my best thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Chashio View Post
    Love the horizon view
    The whole thing is beautifully drawn, Voolf.
    Thanks Chashio, I was inspired by your maps with the nice oblique and horizon views
    New Horizons
    Fantasy maps and illustrations.

All my non-commisioned maps are FREE for personal use. Get them at my home page New Horizons
    Get more of my maps by becoming my Patreon.

Support:
    Patreon | Tip via PayPal.Me | Buy Me a Coffee

WOW! This is outstanding. The linework and perspective is absolutely stunning, even without colour.
    I think the waves might look okay with colour!
    I absolutely adore this map!

I offer map commissions for RPG's, world-building, and books
    PORFOLIO | INSTAGRAM

Thank you Josiah. I must have missed your comment. Read it just now while uploading new wip .

So i have been busy lately and haven't got time to progress with this as i would like to. Today i just finished the first overall shade for mountains. As always, thought i will share this, as i know some of you like to see wip and learn thing or two, same as me .

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WIP1.6.jpeg 
Views:	116 
Size:	2.32 MB 
ID:	97892
    New Horizons

All my non-commisioned maps are FREE for personal use. Get them at my home page New Horizons

Support:

Here's an update. I have been working on the mountains for past few days. Thet are not done yet.
    I am drawing last highlights for now, but i am pretty much sure i will have to tweak them a bit more later on.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WIP1.7.jpeg 
Views:	101 
Size:	1.01 MB 
ID:	98104
    New Horizons

Support:

When I was a child (ooooh.... about that many years ago now) there was a TV programme called Blue Peter, and it was on every week. They would run art and craft projects to teach us kids how to make things, and each week they would do a little bit more to the project, like sticking the cut out pieces of card together, or painting it, etc. Because air time was limited they had this way of showing you the method, then suddenly producing a perfectly finished version of what it should look like once you've finished doing that stage, using the phrase "And so that you can see how it should look when you've done that - here is one I did earlier"

It was at that point that I would stare at the perfect model on screen, and then down at my partly crumpled and disjointed construction all covered in wet glue and paint, and pull a... 'do I laugh or cry'... face at it

That's how I feel when I see your maps, even though you do these WIPs for us. What you have there is WAAAAY better than my attempted scribble at this end!!!! ROFL!

But please don't let that put you off. Its fun (and pretty hilarious) just trying to imitate you

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Tonnichiwa's Avatar

This looks great! Very nice job on the line work and the colors. I love how you have highlighted and shaded the mountains. And the color of the ocean is quite nice. On my screen the color looks very blue but it also has a texture that I like the look of.

I'm completely guessing here but are you adding a very light white highlight near the rivers to make them look like they are receded (is that a word?) into the land? I've always wondered how people make rivers look like they've actually cut into the land like these look.

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    When I was a child (ooooh.... about that many years ago now) there was a TV programme called Blue Peter, and it was on every week. They would run art and craft projects to teach us kids how to make things, and each week they would do a little bit more to the project, like sticking the cut out pieces of card together, or painting it, etc. Because air time was limited they had this way of showing you the method, then suddenly producing a perfectly finished version of what it should look like once you've finished doing that stage, using the phrase "And so that you can see how it should look when you've done that - here is one I did earlier"

It was at that point that I would stare at the perfect model on screen, and then down at my partly crumpled and disjointed construction all covered in wet glue and paint, and pull a... 'do I laugh or cry'... face at it

That's how I feel when I see your maps, even though you do these WIPs for us. What you have there is WAAAAY better than my attempted scribble at this end!!!! ROFL!

But please don't let that put you off. Its fun (and pretty hilarious) just trying to imitate you
    I think i understand you and it makes me little sad Mouse ;(, but seeing your recent maps in gimp i believe you are getting there ! Just keep up.
    Thanks for this interesting analogy

Quote Originally Posted by Tonnichiwa View Post
    This looks great! Very nice job on the line work and the colors. I love how you have highlighted and shaded the mountains. And the color of the ocean is quite nice. On my screen the color looks very blue but it also has a texture that I like the look of.

I'm completely guessing here but are you adding a very light white highlight near the rivers to make them look like they are receded (is that a word?) into the land? I've always wondered how people make rivers look like they've actually cut into the land like these look.
    Thanks Tonnichiwa. The colours are actually picked randomly for now to divide everything from each other. I will probably change them later a little bit.

As for the river. The science behind a river carved into the land is actually very simple. You are right about the highlight. Basicly what you have to do is to draw a little light on the land, just next to the river on one side, and shadows on the other side. Shadow indicate that the land near river goes down, and light, that there is an elevation. That makes the river looks like it's in depression (carved into the land).
    In my maps i always indicate sun somewhere on the left top corner, so the shadows are always on the left side of the river and light on the right side.
    New Horizons

Support:

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Tonnichiwa's Avatar

Cool! Thanks for answering that. I think I will have to give it a try in Krita.

Page 7 of 29 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast