Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Havenrock

Thanks again for taking the time to post.
    A quick progress update. I probably spent too much time trying to arrive at basic color scheme. Many layers scribbled and discarded. I am happy with the current illustrative look but I had originally planned on experimenting to get something simple to quickly put together (so I could realistically make similar maps for game night.) May not have met that goal entirely.

It is going pretty fast now that I have coloring. Kind of paint-by-number by copying my own template, and pick out a few detail points to add interest.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Havenrock.05.1.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	499.0 KB 
ID:	92089

I thought I had already commented on your posts but it appears I haven't. The layout is so realistic ! You did a great job with 3D but the true wonders happen when you take out your pen. The line art is really fantastic and the touches of color you added are really subtle and efficient ! Wonderful map !

The lines seem messy but still when i look closer at the buildings they are very detailed. I love this, the colours you picked are great. Can't wait to see this finishied.

Professional Artist Guild Supporter Wired's Avatar

Wow, excellent artwork there, and I like the subdued color scheme you've been employing so far.

A question regarding Tinkercad, if I might: is there a way to increase the size of the work space? I'd like to use the same approach you've used to create the base of a city, but the current work space I see might be a bit too small for that.

@wired: Not at the moment but we do get that request.
    You may build a larger than the work grid shows, but the overall build space is still somewhat limited. (This is because of tech limits re accuracy + Tinkercad's focus on 3D printing and common print bed sizes.)
    You may be able to simplify and create the city of smaller objects or build sections at a time as separate models. FYI I was working small at 1mm = 1' for my reference model which fit easily in the default grid/workplane.

This is so good, I'm almost jealous!
    Keep up the amazing work friend.

Ps: Your line weight is amazing.

Guild Expert Guild Supporter Greg's Avatar

This is really nice work CannonMagnet! The use of tinkercad to build it up looks like a really helpful step, but as other have said, the magic really comes to life when you add in that beautfiul linework of yours! Looking forwards to seeing how this continues.

Fantastic! I love the style coloring. Keep it up!

I absolutely love this! It's wonderfully grungy and stark. How did you do the linework, it looks as if it's done with a pen. Did you use some sort of pencil or pen brush in photoshop?
    Very inspiring, can't wait to see more.

I offer map commissions for RPG's, world-building, and books
    PORFOLIO | INSTAGRAM

Color and shading complete (have to force myself to stop noodling and over-rendering everything.)
    As I mentioned earlier, I will crop out the surrounding terrain for final, or at least leave things more abstract like the left side.
    Thanks again for the comments. I am always inspired by the varied and interesting work I find on this site, and it is fun to contribute.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Havenrock.06.1.jpg 
Views:	293 
Size:	499.7 KB 
ID:	92193

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast