Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 09 - Handmaiden's Burrow [whipstache]

Wip 09 - Handmaiden's Burrow [whipstache]

Sandwiched between the disciplined pursuit of perfection in Pixie's Monastery district (Disctrict 21) and the anything-goes mentality Meshon's Mossbank bazaars (District 8 ) lies the quiet working-class district known as Handmaiden's Burrow. The residents of the Burrow generally keep their heads down and their hands busy simply trying to provide food for their children and buy supplies to make repairs on their small cottages. (There doesn't yet appear to be anyone responsible for Section 10 to the south and southeast.)

The eastern section of the district, influenced by its proximity to the monastery, has set up a small trade school to help the farmers and masons and carpenters improve the quality of their output. There's even whispers of support for the establishment of a Laborers Guild; rumor has it that a few of the property owners have pooled resources to buy the abandoned warehouse near the cliffs to re-purpose into a Laborers Guild Hall.

The middle and much of the western section of Handmaiden's Burrow is filled with the craftworking equivalent of the Mossbank's Inkslingers that the Realisminites so despise; that is, you can find someone to make or get for you whatever product or item you're wanting, and someone else to undercut that price by 10%. You might sacrifice some of the quality found in some of the wealthier districts, but, hey, those bazaars don't fill themselves with dyes and knives and leather, do they?

The western-most section of the Burrow its nicest, cleanest, safest portion, as it is infused with outsider coin from those entering through one of Guild City's busiest gates and insider coin from parties with vested interests making a good impression on visitors and travelers. These parties are presently experiencing different stages of anger and disappointment with the current status of Kuma Manto Falls, normally a busy destination. Guild City officials have restricted access to the Falls as disputes over ownership and rights have emerged between three groups: 1) the noble Ardaris family, descendants of the Vanished Queen from long ago, 2) the Water Merchants, a political organization whose membership is comprised of nearly every Guild in the city with a(n even tenuous) connection to Guild City's rivers & lakes, and 3) the Mining & Engineering Corporation who are a privately owned company contracted by the Guild City government to prevent catastrophic collapses. Of course, their motives are suspect, as they only recently joined the dispute shortly after two boys found a massive Alexandrite gemstone in the winding cave structures behind and around the waterfall.

Possibly the most interesting note about Handmaiden's Burrow, though, is that there are three tales firmly embedded in the lore of Guild City that share only a single component. They each reference a mysterious and powerful thaumaturge that resides somewhere in the district. I wonder if she still lives there?

Here's the first sketch. Just blocking things out. Feedback welcome.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Section 09 Handmaiden's Burrow@0,5x.png 
Views:	65 
Size:	2.51 MB 
ID:	92001
    Last edited by whipstache; 01-30-2017 at 09:11 AM. Reason: adding WIP map
    whipstache.com

Find my design work at whipstache.com

That's a great story whipstache

I'm looking forward to your first sketch of the area

For now I will just content myself by adding a link to your WIP thread from the Index for you.

Hello neighbour!

I didn't notice I had a new neighbour until you started this thread. Great! And you already describe me as "disciplined pursuit of perfection" - it seems like you know me for a long time already!
    Welcome to the city and throw a draft with your ideas asap (asap, here at the guild, reads "whenever you can and want to").

I realized that editing the OP to include the WIP map probably doesn't trigger a notification, so here's a separate post with the map.

Also, this will allow me to keep the different steps, rather than only having the most recent WIP.

Name:	Section 09 Handmaiden's Burrow@0,5x.png 
Views:	45 
Size:	2.51 MB 
ID:	92621

Here's the first sketch. Just blocking things out. Feedback welcome.
    Last edited by whipstache; 02-13-2017 at 03:50 PM.
    whipstache.com

The new sketch is cool!

Looking forward to seeing it develop

EDIT: Only the link seems to have broken now I come back to look at it again?
    Last edited by Mouse; 01-31-2017 at 06:56 PM.

Just posted a "final draft" of my section. And I thought we should discuss our common border - which is City Walls entirely. Even before having neighbours, I always assumed the person on the inside would be the one drawing the wall - is that ok with you, that you include them in your part of the map?

Quote Originally Posted by Pixie View Post
    Just posted a "final draft" of my section. And I thought we should discuss our common border - which is City Walls entirely. Even before having neighbours, I always assumed the person on the inside would be the one drawing the wall - is that ok with you, that you include them in your part of the map?
    I'm cool with doing the wall. But, if and when you finish the portion of your map adjacent to our border, you'll probably want to incorporate the shadow of the wall, so it's consistent with your aesthetic.
    Last edited by whipstache; 02-13-2017 at 03:40 PM.
    whipstache.com

Quote Originally Posted by whipstache View Post
    I'm cool with doing the wall. But, if and when you finish the portion of your map adjacent to our border, you'll probably want to incorporate the shadow of the wall, so it's consistent with your aesthetic.
    I shall, but I will wait until you have the wall done. By the way, (and this might as well be a question for everyone...) what's the state of the walls? - are they solid, well maintained and all that, or is there some disrepair and minor collapses on them?

I'm going to treat them as though they're well maintained. Seems like Guild City probably has decent resources. *shrugs*
    Last edited by whipstache; 02-13-2017 at 03:40 PM.
    whipstache.com

Alright, so, this probably isn't worth a post, but here are some building outlines. I'm for sure not done adding buildings. I haven't had as much time to work on this as I'd initially hoped.

Anyway, the western-most section is pretty close to done. That's close to how I anticipate the other sections looking.

Here you go!

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	Section 09 Handmaiden's Burrow@0,5x lines.png 
Views:	70 
Size:	2.40 MB 
ID:	92620
    Last edited by whipstache; 02-13-2017 at 03:49 PM.
    whipstache.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast