Page 10 of 39 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131420 ... LastLast

Thread: 15 - [Inner] The Ward of Erahum [Mouse]

Guild Journeyer Facebook Connected Rongar's Avatar

You did indeed forget to tell me. But that's the project size, not the layer size. You can test this by creating a tiny text layer, select it and read what it says in the brackets. Should still be 2.6 GB. And that's about the same size where my PC starts chugging, too.

And I went and ninjad you by editing my previous comment! Sorry!

I wish I understood how this masking and layering thing really worked. With pngs, having a large area transparent significantly reduces the size of the image, but it doesn't seem to have the same effect with GIMP files.

How do you reduce the size of the layer once there's a significant border that is actually transparent?

Guild Journeyer Facebook Connected Rongar's Avatar

No problem, I'm getting ninja'd all the time.

Well, to crop your layers with a lot of transparency around the actual thing you could either select the layer and then go to Layer-> Autocrop layer. Or you select the area yourself with the rectangle tool and then do Layer -> Crop to selection. The latter is especially useful because of its' flexibility. With the select tool you can even enlarge the layer again if you realize that you need a little more space to work with. Just select the area you need and crop to selection.

PS: You will find that the 800mb file will be over 2GB once it's open in GIMP. I don't really know why that is, maybe due to compression. *shrugs* [Edit] Unless you mean the xcf-file was indeed 2.6 Gb even before opening in GIMP. In that case it sounds like you imported a gigantic layer (like 20kx20k) and didn't crop it to image/canvas size.
    Last edited by Rongar; 02-10-2017 at 02:23 AM.

Excellent! thank you

I will go and crop them the moment I open the file again.

But for now... I'm going to catch a couple of hours nap

Ok - I lied again. Well, I got a phone call and now I have to stay up to get someone else to hospital for a checkup, so I carried on working out the shadows a bit better:

### Latest WIP ###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Errahum_06.JPG 
Views:	42 
Size:	7.55 MB 
ID:	92464

And now I really am going to bed... after I get someone to hospital and back again
    Last edited by Mouse; 02-10-2017 at 03:59 AM.

Guild Journeyer Facebook Connected Southern Crane's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rongar View Post
    PS: You will find that the 800mb file will be over 2GB once it's open in GIMP. I don't really know why that is, maybe due to compression. *shrugs* [Edit] Unless you mean the xcf-file was indeed 2.6 Gb even before opening in GIMP. In that case it sounds like you imported a gigantic layer (like 20kx20k) and didn't crop it to image/canvas size.
    Yes its compression. When you work in PS or GIMP, its always uncompressed images you are working with. So if you open a naturally compressed format like JPEG its instantly going to get larger when you are working on it in Ps/gimp. When you resave in jpeg or PDF or what not it re-compresses the image. For work, I usually have files that are 40-50MB in Ps that, once saved in PDF format, are usually 4-10MB.

Just as an example, lets say you open a 10MB image in PS, then resize it in PS and then copy the layer into your project. You'll still have a 10MB addition to the project while its open in PS.
    But if you resize the image smaller, save it in JPEG, close it, then re-open in PS then size of the new JPEG will be much smaller because you are getting the new uncompressed size.
    Last edited by Southern Crane; 02-10-2017 at 07:15 PM.

Something I did once a very long time ago in Corel Photopaint...

I created a sandwich of texture layers starting with base rock at the bottom, and going through boulders, rubble, pebbles, grit, sand, soil, short grass, long grass, scrub, bushes, and trees... the whole set of possible land textures up to mature forest - so that I could use it again and again as a full canvas to carve many new maps - a new one each time - by erasing my way down through the layers to 'reveal' the image in my head in that moment.

I was going to make a webpage thing of it - interactive doodle maps... but like with most of the ideas I have it just never happened that way, and was shelved indefinitely. That was about 20 years ago now, but the concept of starting with everything and erasing the things that aren't needed has stayed with me, which is why it seemed like a good idea to use this technique here with this map, rather than having to overcome the 'white page syndrome' in a piece of software I know practically nothing about.

I can see the error of my ways, now, though if I had more than just a lowly laptop, it might just have worked out ok

Right

The first draft of the shadows has been completed.

I haven't touched the relief shading yet, but the relief will be quite subtle in comparison to the fierce contrast of the precipitous cliffs that mark the edges of each of the plateaus and the mesa. There's more work to be done on the GIMP background - the grass on the highland is all wrong, and I need to do a lot more detail on the near vertical parts of the mesa/cliffs.

### Latest WIP ###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Errahum_07.JPG 
Views:	34 
Size:	7.52 MB 
ID:	92488

Guild Expert

I like where this is going, the shadows are really starting to make the land stand out.

Quote Originally Posted by kacey View Post
    I like where this is going, the shadows are really starting to make the land stand out.
    Thanks Kacey

They are a bit sharp and artificial looking at the moment, but at least I can see the form to work on it now

Perhaps I should have done this in a 3D modelling app! I'm just nowhere near good enough at that sort of thing at this present time.

Page 10 of 39 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131420 ... LastLast