Page 13 of 39 FirstFirst ... 39101112131415161723 ... LastLast

Thread: 15 - [Inner] The Ward of Erahum [Mouse]

LOL! Thanks Rongar

I prefer the yellow-with-black colours for grass than actual green (which I only use very rarely in anything but water). However, I need to remember to eat before adjusting colours, or I end up going too orange-cheese colour!

Dark yellows (the kind of green I prefer) always go much better with tiled roof colours

I'm re-rendering this with the shadows flipped over, and will add it in a few minutes as an edit to this comment.

EDIT: Here it is again with the shadows flipped the right way over

### Latest WIP ###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Errahum 12.JPG 
Views:	26 
Size:	8.43 MB 
ID:	92697
    Last edited by Mouse; 02-16-2017 at 03:01 PM.

Guild Journeyer Facebook Connected Southern Crane's Avatar

Those different sections are really cool and flavorful with the design really reflecting the name.

Thanks Southern Crane

Now I only have another 10-15 names and designs to think up.... and then the dragon's skeleton to draw

A map clearly drawn from a "british" perspective. Ground isn't necessarily covered in glorious green grass by nature you know - that's just in Dorset.

Hmm... you may have a point there, but I think I will continue to work with the 'Green England' style for a while - just because I find it soothing to place all my little houses on the velvet green. The GIMP background is far from finished however. I haven't even drawn any rock faces or added any cliff-style shading to it yet, so things might start to look a lot less green and England-like towards the end.

I'm working on both halves of the map separately, but together - a little bit of GIMP work, then a little bit of CC3 work, so the two will continue to develop to a similar level throughout - hopefully in harmony! LOL!

A few more buildings...

I'd be interested to know if the Palace of Transcendental Visions and surrounding area looks a bit too modern for a sort of steam punk medieval city. The buildings I've used are from the CC3 Middle East collection.

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	Errahum 13.JPG 
Views:	15 
Size:	8.49 MB 
ID:	92722

I've also been thinking quite a bit about the pros and cons of dictating too much of the history in any one area. If others are going to map buildings or underground parts to this map, then I won't be doing them any favours by dictating the story for them, or unwittingly setting a scene they cannot use.

What does everyone else think about this?

Time to tackle the cliffs - just a small part near the texture farm to start with till I've got the measure of the technique. The rest are just scribble till next time.

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	Errahum 14.JPG 
Views:	25 
Size:	8.42 MB 
ID:	92729

More work on the cliffs, and first draft of the separate shadow layer.

The map is a sandwich of CC3 mapping elements and GIMP drawings constructed like this from top down:

CC3 upper road sheets
    GIMP Shadow imported as a transparent png and used as a polygon fill
    CC3 map (everything that isn't the upper roads, the shadow, or the background - ie most of the map)
    GIMP Background imported as a fill to CC3 but drawn in GIMP (the rock, grass, and cliffs)

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	Errahum 15.JPG 
Views:	24 
Size:	9.33 MB 
ID:	92742

More work on the cliffs and the shadows, but also a rethink on the layout (again)

It occurred to me that my reason for sloping the land off to level at the northern extremity was purely to make the building of the city wall a more feasible project - especially since thomrey has been kind enough to take that part of the job off my hands... but if I leave it the way it is thomrey may have more trouble imposing the valley relief of his own section to the north of that, because there won't be much of a slope for him to join the end of his valley wall to on my side.

So, I have scribbled some red lines there to indicate the lines of three small breaks in the slope that I'm hoping will line up with anything thomrey may wish to do with his valley, while maintaining the feasibility of a large city wall traversing the cut of the slope at that point.

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	Errahum 16.JPG 
Size:	9.49 MB 
ID:	92746

I've adjusted the relief and then also to the roads that are affected by the relief. I've moved the section of road that coincides with the wall at the north west corner to my side of the wall, which is to be drawn by thomrey, so that its not in the way

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	Errahum 17.JPG 
Size:	9.31 MB 
ID:	92784

EDIT: Its not finished yet (the relief). This is just a draft.
    Last edited by Mouse; 02-21-2017 at 01:11 AM.

Page 13 of 39 FirstFirst ... 39101112131415161723 ... LastLast