Page 25 of 39 FirstFirst ... 1521222324252627282935 ... LastLast

Thread: 15 - [Inner] The Ward of Erahum [Mouse]

Guild Expert

I'm not sure you can do the add on in the core version, and I highly doubt you can do add on's in sculptris, but it's worth checking out anyway. There are definitely some things I would miss with the core version. Texture map support for one, and not being able to get render passes, or ambient occlusion would be a deal breaker for me because I composited that entire image I made in PhotoShop using render passes, that being said though if you have access to texturing software like keyshot or something else I suppose it doesn't really matter that much. Uv mapping I'm sure you could do in blender, zmodeler, and edge loops are also really handy tools that you don't get with the core version, and fibre mesh too for doing hair tho I haven't got great results out of fibre mesh just yet, I found myself having to paint hair by hand in PhotoShop. Oh I just saw now that plugins aren't supported. But I'm sure you can get good results anyway because I've seen many great works done only in the core version, and sculptris too.

I've been watching all the vids to do with Sculptris, and it seems you can do terrain just fine without any add ons, so I'm still happy.

As for hair? Hmmm. Not to sure I will need anything like that for mapping Maybe a couple of years down the line I will need it for my characters.

Quote Originally Posted by kacey View Post
    I'm not sure you can do the add on in the core version, and I highly doubt you can do add on's in sculptris, but it's worth checking out anyway. There are definitely some things I would miss with the core version. Texture map support for one, and not being able to get render passes, or ambient occlusion would be a deal breaker for me because I composited that entire image I made in PhotoShop using render passes, that being said though if you have access to texturing software like keyshot or something else I suppose it doesn't really matter that much. Uv mapping I'm sure you could do in blender, zmodeler, and edge loops are also really handy tools that you don't get with the core version, and fibre mesh too for doing hair tho I haven't got great results out of fibre mesh just yet, I found myself having to paint hair by hand in PhotoShop. Oh I just saw now that plugins aren't supported. But I'm sure you can get good results anyway because I've seen many great works done only in the core version, and sculptris too.
    Not to completely hijack the thread, but what I'm really looking for is modeling and sculpting, I absolutely despise texturing, painting, etc. etc. and I'm never going to be good at it that sort of stuff either. So for that stuff I can stick with Blender or if I have to, take a a gander at Substance Painter or something. Edge loops would be useful. But my theoretical conception of a possible pipeline is that I'll sculpt in zbrush, take it to Blender for topology if I need a decent mesh, take it back to zbrush for poly paint, if required, then take it back to Blender for setting up the scene and getting the render. If I ever get that far. Right now I'm just concentrating on sculpting, or rather learning how to use zBrush to sculpt. Or if I get taken with the core version and start making money with it, then get the full version. Which ever way is easier lol.

The core version does have two supremely important features though. Dynamesh and z remesher. Those two things alone are incredible.

Anyways sorry for going so deeply off topic on your thread Mouse.

Oh no don't worry about it

Don't you ever sit and listen to people talking about things? I find I learn more about stuff just by letting people talk

Besides... this is a Mouse thread, and I have a certain reputation to uphold for the longest most convoluted threads on the forum

LOL that is definitely true.

Take a look at 3D Coat. It is really good at sculpting and the EDU version has a fair price. There is also a 30 days trial version.
    Keep up the good work Mouse!

Oh boy! That 3D coat is pretty impressive. I just spent a happy hour watching the videos. That animated banner thing at the top of the page is just really spooky - more so without any of the usual music you get with everything nowadays.

Thanks Katto

Guild Expert

I tried the trial version of 3D Coat before settling on ZBrush, it's really neat and the only reason I didn't get that one is because it made my surface tablet so hot that I could hardly bare to hold onto it, it's probably because I don't have a proper graphics card in it. Actually the only 3D programme that worked without too much hastle for me on the surface pro was ZBrush which was why I went that route, but a close second would have been 3D coat if I didn't like sitting back on the couch when I use my computer so much.

I'm on the trail version of 3D Coat and it is actually amazing. And for the price they're charging kind of unbelievable. It makes everything I hate doing (UV maps, texturing etc.) straight forward, and its retopo abilities are really astounding. Which is good because I downgraded from the trail version of ZBrush 4R7 to ZBrushcore and they stripped out a lot of functionality, which I understand. Indeed it comes with all the basic brushes I was using in ZBrush anyways. However it removes ZRemesher (which makes sense to me since that a hugely powerful part of the program), but it also strips a lot of what I'd consider basic functionality from geometry and in Dynamesh, particularly the "Fill holes" option. I never did the polypaint part of zbrush so don't know what's there or not, so really what it is for me is a basic sculpting program which for the most part it's good at (but without all the functions one would expect even from a basic program). As it currently stands I wouldn't recommend ZBrushcore really, and certainly wouldn't recommend it as a standalone piece of software. The impression I get is that they really had no clear conception of what they were aiming for other than "a stripped down version of ZBrush."

Oh. That's a bit disappointing. I'm busy trying to make the Sketchup thing work for this district (even though I feel like I'm flogging a dead horse with it). When I had more than 5 minutes to spare I was going to try Sculptris, which I bet isn't even as functional as Core, being free and all.

Maybe 3D Coat really is the answer for me as well - only if it was hotting things up a bit too much for Kacey's hardware, I'm not too sure if it would work ok on a very, very average laptop!

Page 25 of 39 FirstFirst ... 1521222324252627282935 ... LastLast