Page 27 of 39 FirstFirst ... 1723242526272829303137 ... LastLast

Thread: 15 - [Inner] The Ward of Erahum [Mouse]

I only have 4GB RAM.

I recently discovered that I also only have a dual core processor! (Thought it had 4 cores, but not so)

I think a new machine may be in order, but for that I will have to wait at least another couple of years...

Mouse you can get a low spec computer that would be very inexpensive and still be way more powerful than what you got going. People also sell their old machines, don't know where you'd find that in England, but I imagine you can get a gamers old machine for low, low, money. Indeed you may even be able to find free machines.

Thanks for the thoughts, Falconius. I will keep my eyes open

I believe you could add more ram without having to change other pieces.
    You motherboard will support it unless it is really old.
    I am assuming you are using a 64 bit Windows 10. 32 bit does not support more ram.

Personally, i use this site to help me build my next computer: https://pcpartpicker.com/
    It will tell you if the pieces are compatible.

I'm serious! Gamers update their machines all the time, and then they keep their old machine thinking they'll do something with it, but never do. I have my previous machine sitting right next to me (I'd sell it for around 100-150 bucks if I could get it), and I've got one in storage that is even older (which I'm sure has more than 4GB RAM). Everyone has old screens lying around, even normal people. Second hand is really the route to go, since you get a machine that is already together and you know it was working.

But for new, you could build a decent low spec machine for 300-400 bucks, you could build a crappy modern machine for 250 bucks and it'd still be better.

(again not sure what it's like in England, but can't imagine it's so different)
    Last edited by Falconius; 12-06-2017 at 03:08 PM.

Yes, its 64 bit.

I remember asking if there was an option to build more RAM into it when I bought it, 3 years ago, and I was told at the time that it could be increased to 8GB.

When I take it to be cleaned next time I will ask them to check for hardware faults, and also how much it will cost to have the extra 4GB RAM while they've got it in bits on the bench. Again, though, that's not going to happen until after Christmas.

I'm kind of hoping to maybe put all my Christmas money together and be able to afford to part exchange this one for an altogether better machine

What an interesting site that is! If I had the money I'd be half tempted to get all the best bits and build my own from scratch

LOL! I take too long with my replies - you ninjad me Falconius.

Thank you very much for trying your best to be so helpful. I simply can't afford it right away, but I will save up to do something about it in the spring

Waiting never hurts, the computer world moves so quickly it only makes your money worth more.

This is very true.

A 3 year old machine is positively ancient in PC years, but I know the guy at the repair shop will give me a decent sum for it in part exchange if I decide to go that way. He reconditions them and sells them on, and he's had that shop for nearly 15 years. He wouldn't have survived the recession if he wasn't any good at what he does. People would have stopped using him in the first couple of years if he was overcharging or doing shoddy work.

By Mouse
    I have in essence lost this map, since I can no longer open it in GIMP, thanks to the much larger drain on my system resources caused by the Creator Update to Win 10. Its a monster
    Welcome to the club! I got my new computer and with 16 Go RAM, it runs well.... but I'm having serious troubles to install Ubuntu in parallel of Win10....
    I think I may prefer this Krita version, it looks like a great revisitation (and as per usual, I love the colors you chose).

Page 27 of 39 FirstFirst ... 1723242526272829303137 ... LastLast