Page 35 of 39 FirstFirst ... 25313233343536373839 LastLast

Thread: 15 - [Inner] The Ward of Erahum [Mouse]

Guild Expert Guild Supporter Greg's Avatar

Ah, noooo! It wasn't a virus you caught from your computer yesterday I hope...

Hope you feel better soon, Sue and everyone's always slow over Christmas anyway!

Thanks Greg

I'm dizzy, but I'm not seeing binary or hex before my eyes, so I think its a fairly normal sort of flu.

I tend to throw these things off in 2-3 days, and have been known to recover twice as fast as people half my age, so no need to worry

Hey Mouse, I hope Sue gets well soon, so that you an get back at full throttle.

I was looking at your section (with envy, should say) a little bit excited with what it to come, and I noticed the planned walls (that's what that thick line with temporary tower shades is, isn't it?). They don't seem to match th ground in any logical way. You know, if you have a height difference, you want to be on the top of that height difference, so you have the higher ground. Makes no sense to place walls just outside a drop - conflict becomes on even field and if you loose the walls you automatically give your opponent the higher ground. Same thing with leaving a flat plateau just outside your walls, it's like saying "occupy that, get a catapult in there and bomb at pleasure".

So, my humble opinion being that those walls need some reconfiguration, here's a graphical "point of view":
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	suggestion_mouse.png 
Views:	73 
Size:	304.4 KB 
ID:	102469

EDIT: poor grammar, probably still poor anyway, but a little bit corrected...

I think Pixie has a point. Unless you've a special idea in mind, Mouse .
    Take rest & recover!

Thanks Pixie

I've been worrying about the poor defensive position of that wall for a good long time, and I also want to move it. I will have to consult with John, who has the land to the south.

A landscape painter, that explains it.
    I don't paint and I don't understand what is wrong with Bob Ross. The guy is very good.
    i actually prefer what he does than all the stuff at the contemporary art museum. Looked like someone just thew up paint randomly.

Hope you get well soon.
    I don't usually get the flue but when I do, it's pretty bad.

About the wall, I don't want to make you fell bad but wasn't it supposed to be a hill (instead of a cliff)?
    The main file is not really clear on that matter but after Pixie's comment, it would make more sense if it was a cliff.

On the other hand, I do not think that this area of the city is the most likely to be attacked.
    In order to launch an attack on this side, the army would have to cross several gorges/valleys likely well guarded.
    Also, the space available to deploy an army is limited, it would be easy for the defenders to concentrate on the choke point, giving them a larger advantage.
    The likely place to invade would be the southern wall (26,29,23,13...). There, the invading army could be fully deployed on a plain and launch a full scale attack on a large portion of the wall simultaneously. Costly in lives but also more likely to succeed.
    That section of the wall will need tougher defences and something like a moat or a second smaller wall where the defender can target the enemies trying to cross the moat.
    Last edited by Azélor; 12-22-2017 at 10:59 AM.

Nothing at all wrong with Bob Ross - at least, not from my point of view

Thanks for all the advice. Looks like I'm going to have plenty of time to mull it all over.

Been thinking of a double wall section there - a smaller inner wall to hold the enemy into a sort of killing field if they manage to breach the outer wall

The smaller wall should be outside not inside. The reason is because when the enemy captures the outer/bigger wall, they gain the height advantage.
    The defenders would have to fend off incoming attack in front of them but also those from above (arrows from the top of the wall).
    Even behind that wall, they need to raise their shields for protection against archers.
    Also, they have the cliff at their back. If things go bad and things will go bad if the outer wall falls, they have nowhere to go.
    Or they might have an exit but it may prove difficult to have an orderly retreat.They will be pushed off the cliff.

There is no defensive advantage for the defender. On the other hand, the attacker will the cover to protect form possible archer down below.
    If the big wall falls, we are cooked. The ultimate line of defence is the citadelle in district 1.

Blog Entries

EDIT: also I need to have a gallows somewhere - for all the little spams that fail the five tests.
    We have a ban hammer so maybe something representative of that.

@Azelor - good point... more thinking required. The outer wall probably shouldn't rise to the mesa, then. The mesa needs to be part of the inner defences. May need to expand the wall quite a bit.... or take that mesa out?

@ Red - Ooooo! BRUTAL!
    Last edited by Mouse; 12-22-2017 at 04:06 PM.

Page 35 of 39 FirstFirst ... 25313233343536373839 LastLast