Page 37 of 39 FirstFirst ... 2733343536373839 LastLast

Thread: 15 - [Inner] The Ward of Erahum [Mouse]

Stone slab rooftops.... hmmm

Lots of interesting ideas.

Thank you, Azelor

You're putting a lot of thoughts in this, Mouse. And it's only making it even more great .

Thank you, Ilanthar

Azelor's latest suggestion has me thinking of huts with stone slab rooftops on which weeds and grass are growing, and them being only visible against the ground from above by their shadows and the smoke from their hearth fires.

Which also makes me think of the relative lack of wood for burning around here. It being an arid place where only cypress and palm grow any distance from the central places in the city that are closest to the lakes. Maybe these are dung fires? If that's the case, then we need a lot more animal husbandry going on - cattle and sheep preferably. I hear cattle dung makes excellent fire fodder, and we could do with a source of wool for the fabrics and dyeing industry

For that I need deep boreholes to supply water for the livestock, and maybe primitive irrigation to encourage the grass and winter fodder crops...

Herds of livestock, and livestock paths to and from the water holes...

Groups of planted trees to provide shelter from the sun...

Barns and other farming paraphernalia...

Maybe the odd suggestion of a person working the land here and there - more visible by the shadow than the top of the head...
    Last edited by Mouse; 12-29-2017 at 11:51 AM.

Yes, 50 cm thick stone slab.
    Seriously, normal stone slabs were used for rooftops.
    I wasn't specifically referring to the roofs.

Cow dung makes excellent bricks for building a cheap house. Though they might melt in the rainy season if not sealed properly.

I don't see a problem by having some trees. It is not a lush forest nor a desert. More like a savanna or mediterranean biome.

Ok. Now I just need to do a bit of research about how things like borehole pumps and irrigation ditches are supposed to look, and do some more cliff

Thanks Azelor

Those for individual households, and a couple of windmills I think to extract water for the livestock.

Yes. Definitely have this image developing in my head of a pair of relatively large windmills with Mediterranean/Arabian style canvas sails instead of the more conventional north European wooden framed paddles

You know those circular arrangements you sometimes see, with a couple of oxen walking heavy beam-like arms arms around a central pivot arrangement a bit like a ships capstan? Are those water pumps, or grain grinding devices. I'm sorry - I've no idea what you call those things! I've just seen them as part of the scenery in films and not understood their purpose.

Er, no. More like this: https://www.google.ca/search?dcr=0&b....0.OBQ1V_Rftq8

I think they are only used as grain mills, though, not water pumps.

And as for that second image - holy cow! Even though its real, that looks like something straight out of a sci-fi novel! The green is just so verdant, and the dirt is just so parched and dry!

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    Stone slab rooftops.... hmmm

Lots of interesting ideas.

Thank you, Azelor
    Well now we know what you have slated for the rooves

Page 37 of 39 FirstFirst ... 2733343536373839 LastLast