Page 8 of 39 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast

Thread: 15 - [Inner] The Ward of Erahum [Mouse]

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

How do you adjust the memory size in GIMP?

And then... how much is enough without threatening other (possibly more important) systems?

I think it's the Task Manager that allows you to see how much memory is currently being used and how much is available, although I'm not certain as it's been a while since I used Windows. Depending on how many applications you have open at once, you could have your bare minimum open (without GIMP) and see how much memory is available. That will give you an idea of how much you can give GIMP.

To change that you go Edit > Preferences then in the Environment bit there's a bit where you can set resources consumption. I probably wouldn't set it more than 75% of available RAM from above, unless that would make it less than it currently uses. So if it was 2GB available then I'd look at setting it to 1.5GB tops. It's useful to keep some memory free for system tasks and that. At least that's what I believe anyway. I could well be talking nonsense though as my perception of these things could be well out of date. I just know that Windows tended to be quite resource hungry when it came to background housekeeping tasks. Oh and it had a habit of using the swap file regardless of how much free RAM there was.

Thanks Straf

I'll have a look at that in the morning when I'm more awake.

Guild Journeyer Facebook Connected Rongar's Avatar

Straf is correct about reserving enough system memory. Allocating too much RAM to GIMP will slow down your entire system, including GIMP. So it would basically be a lose-lose-scenario. I once read about using approximately 1/4 of memory to GIMP to be on the safe side, but that was ages ago. I'm currently using 2/3 (so 2 GB of my whopping 3 GB) and it seems to be alright. But then again, I'm on Linux and I don't use that many applications at once. If I were you, I'd start with using 2 of your 4 GB for GIMP and see how it goes.

Quote Originally Posted by Rongar View Post
    Straf is correct about reserving enough system memory. Allocating too much RAM to GIMP will slow down your entire system, including GIMP. So it would basically be a lose-lose-scenario. I once read about using approximately 1/4 of memory to GIMP to be on the safe side, but that was ages ago. I'm currently using 2/3 (so 2 GB of my whopping 3 GB) and it seems to be alright. But then again, I'm on Linux and I don't use that many applications at once. If I were you, I'd start with using 2 of your 4 GB for GIMP and see how it goes.
    Rongar! I missed you with all the guys talking tech!

Thanks for all your help and support

All this memory allocation stuff is confusing for me, since CC3 (my main mapping tool) is very economic with system resources. I think it uses far less than half my RAM, and only 1-2 processors, even though I can work on a map that is infinitely bigger than the GIMP or Krita versions without any upset. I think it has something to do with the fact that CC3 only references the graphic source files, rather than actually importing them.

GIMP is coping well now I've made a very slight adjustment to the balance. Krita seems to be far too hungry for power, so I probably won't use it for anything other than tiny maps or for making new symbols now.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    All this memory allocation stuff is confusing for me..,I think it has something to do with the fact that CC3 only references the graphic source files, rather than actually importing them.
    I think CC3 works the same as my app. There is no giant bitmap which is holding all of the map. The tokens are bitmapped so it has to load them in but every time it uses one its referencing the single copy of it. I expect that CC3 draws the screen update from scratch instead of rendering a section of a bitmap like Gimp.

Quote Originally Posted by Redrobes View Post
    You can get a raspberry pi for £4 now. Alright, you need a keyboard and some leads and maybe a monitor if you dont have a TV compatible etc but thats pretty cool. I have been buiding up a couple this year and last. Ok I dont think they would work with Gimp on a large map all that well and I would not recommend them for a laptop / desktop replacement for any number of reasons but they are cool bits of kit. I have been porting my app to linux and I have run my dice app on them ok, VDale has a ways to go but it runs under wine ok but you need the desktop environment for that. But more generally, PC prices have come down to amazingly low levels and the memory prices per Gig is really low. I think its only the Windows bloat that means you need a 16Gb ram machine or whatever. 4Gb should be enough for most things as a 16K pixel square image uncompressed is 1Gb. But other people seem to do things differently to me so YMMV.

Encrypt your zip file and load it to dropbox and you will be fine. No security issues then. I personally dont use cloud storage either but if I was stuck and needed to back up data that is what I would do.
    I always thought a raspberry [and apple] pie was something mum made for Sunday dinner dessert! Never heard of them before in the PC sense. I will have a look at that page and see if I reckon I need to splash out a bit

Thanks for the tip on using Clouds

Quote Originally Posted by Redrobes View Post
    I think CC3 works the same as my app. There is no giant bitmap which is holding all of the map. The tokens are bitmapped so it has to load them in but every time it uses one its referencing the single copy of it. I expect that CC3 draws the screen update from scratch instead of rendering a section of a bitmap like Gimp.
    CC3+ has a FastCAD heart, and FastCAD (as I understand it) is like a lightweight but very powerful version of AutoCAD. I've no idea if the adaptation of referencing bitmap files rather than importing them was something FastCAD did anyway, or something that Profantasy made it do.

Blog Entries

microsoft is known for the " for your convenience.....we will do this ... and not tell you "

things like Internet explorer and MS office can AUTO load into ram on boot ( for your convenience to start the program faster ? maybe )
    or the top 10 programs you use could auto be started and put into ram on boot ( or more likely from Hibernate - the NEW shut down

80% of your ram might be auto pre allocated

depending on the version of windows there are some very handy hacks
    like the ADMIN tools folder in Win7 ( it is HIDDEN from you )
    on 7 make a new folder with this name
    Code:
    .{ED7BA470-8E54-465E-825C-99712043E01C}
    ALL the gui tools and system settings all in ONE!!!! place

EDIT , correction!!! renamed the hack to the correct name
    the dot and everything
    and will work in Win10
    Last edited by johnvanvliet; 02-08-2017 at 12:24 AM.
    --- 90 seconds to Midnight ---
    --------

--- Penguin power!!! ---

Thanks John

Unfortunately I have Win 10.

Blog Entries

it works also in 10
    i typed in the wrong name , it is now corrected

just make a folder on your desktop with that name on your desktop
    you will need to have admin access and need that password
    --- 90 seconds to Midnight ---
    --------