Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Irritating prompt with Wacom tablet in GIMP - how do I get rid of it?

Default Irritating prompt with Wacom tablet in GIMP - how do I get rid of it?

Hi guys

This is the irritating prompt I have to put up with when using my Wacom One with GIMP. I've tried adjusting all the settings but I can't seem to find a way of getting rid of this blumin thing!

I've gone back to using my mouse for now because of it, since the pen won't draw until you dismiss this menu thing. I really can't tell you how annoying it is.

Can anyone help me?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	menu thing.JPG 
Views:	23 
Size:	38.9 KB 
ID:	92598

That's the right click menu, which on mine is set to the top button on the pen.

Could you be accidentally hitting one of the buttons on the pen?

Otherwise you may have to go into the tablet's set up in the hardware manager or wherever it hides in Windows these days.

I very carefully hold the pen with the button on the upper side, so that I never hit it. I don't need it - I use keyboard shortcuts for all the things I need like change from pen to eraser and back again.

I've been to the hardware manager several times, and found nothing about menus or anything that might affect it. Both the buttons are 'deactivated' because I can't be doing with this work-stopping prompt.

When you use yours (I know you have almost the exact same model), do you use a mixture of mouse and pen, or just the tablet. I mean - do you do some things with the mouse, like adjust the tool settings and so on, and then just draw with the pen?

I do quite a lot with the pen. Tapping with it makes it do a left-click action, so I can move scroll bars and drag things about. It sounds like yours is doing a right click.

You're not left handed by any chance are you? I was wondering if it's somehow connected to your mouse buttons. I wonder what would happen if you swapped your mouse to right handed.

I'm going to try plugging mine into the laptop tomorrow if I get the chance and see what I can fathom out under Windows.

No, I'm right handed.

I've got Win 10 (and often wish I hadn't)

Thanks for looking into it for me

Ummm....

I have a confession to make!

I discovered what I was dong wrong, and its got nothing to do with any settings or pen buttons at all, and despite how silly I feel I'm going to post the solution here so that no one else need end up struggling with the same hassle.

My laptop only has 3 USB ports, and I use peripheral mouse and keyboard because I can't stand the teeny tiny touch pad on the laptop, and I'd rather wear out an auxiliary keyboard or two than have to replace my laptop keyboard by using it all that much.

One USB port is permanently taken by the mouse I use, one is permanently taken by the earphones I use (whether they are charging or in use), and the third and last of the USB ports has to be shared between my keyboard and my tablet - because using one means I don't need the other. I mean, you can't use a tablet at exactly the same time as a keyboard... not if you're a touch typist like me and type with both hands.

What this means is that where I more often than not have the keyboard plugged in for convenience, when I open GIMP I unplug my keyboard and plug in my tablet.

So - what's wrong with that?

Its done in the wrong order. If you don't already have your tablet plugged in and ready before you open GIMP it doesn't work properly, and you get this stupid prompt thingy every single time you're a bit slow to start moving the pen once its made contact with the tablet.

So there you go - problem solved!

Thanks Straf - for trying your level best to beat the bug for me
    Last edited by Mouse; 02-13-2017 at 09:07 AM.

When you next replace your key board or mouse why don't you get a wireless keyboard+mouse set, then it'll only take up one usb for the dongle thing.

That is an option. Thanks Falconius

I think the reason I haven't yet is because I go for the cheapest deal on keyboards and mice, and they just happen to have been separate so far.

I'll add the lack of ports into the consideration next time

You could buy a USB hub, as they aren't especially expensive. Quick Amazon search...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/USB-Hubs/b?...node=430443031
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

Poundland do USB hubs that work to an extent. It depends on the device and how much power it needs. I plug my tablet in using one but only as an extension.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast