Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Standard map of inhabited systems

This looks really great so far and it really makes me want to know more about the universe this map exists in. I hope you can add some of the iconography you mentioned to get some more information across to the viewer. And if you could get some of the context you provided in your first post into the map itself so that it is comes across to the viewer that would be excellent.

Also, although I like the map as it is, if you wanted to add a more sci-fi colour you could perhaps reverse the text and hyperlanes and icons to off white and make the background black or very, very, very, very, very dark blue. That would allow you to add nebulae or star clusters. But I'm not sure if any of that would improve the map as I quite like it as it is

Thanks for posting so far and please keep updating as you progress.

Guild Novice

I've thought about it a bit, and I think I need to redesign the map a bit because it's difficult to add text in many areas. Also I've made some minor mistakes that I should like to correct, and some other data I wanted to add means that it needs to be reorganised. I'll come up with something new soon-ish, I hope.

Post White backgrounds are standard for astronomy

I like the map. It's reminiscent of the maps I use for astronomy. They all have white backgrounds and stars in black (or sometimes blue). It's an intriguing, science fiction/fact style that I'm drawn to as artwork the same way I like the old style parchment maps of earth from the 17th and 18th centuries.
    Flyteach

As Flyteach mentions, physical atlases of the sky most often have a white background with stars and other objects drawn in a variety of colors. This can be seen if you do a Web search for "sky atlas". In addition to being very readable, it uses less ink. See, for example, https://www.astronomics.com/images/P...e/12244_1_.jpg and https://4.bp.blogspot.com/-ndcI6t4Qe.../jumbo%2B4.jpg
    Selden

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12