Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Standard map of inhabited systems

Guild Novice

Wip Standard map of inhabited systems

Hello! So I finally decided to get into using inkscape (at the moment I am very inexperienced) to make maps. I also registered an account here, as it seems an appropriate place to share my maps.

Do note, that this map, and the lore behind it, are quite WIP and subject to sweeping changes at any time. Also, be warned, that the map is massive, at 4,000 by 4,000 pixels.

Click here to see the map.

Context
    At the time this map was published, two main factions -- the United Galactic Systems (UGS) and its separatist offshoot, the Commonwealth of Sovereign Systems (CSS) -- have entered a ceasefire following outbreaks of an unknown disease and/or alien lifeform that has utterly paralysed and destroyed many fringe systems. Although the USS was quick to accuse the UGS of using weapons of mass destruction on an unprecedented level in the history of the galaxy, the accusations quickly ended when the UGS' core shipyards fell to the tide. A ceasefire quickly followed -- the Armistice of Gansovia, which brought an immediate end to hostilities -- and the New Vohol Accords established the de-militarised zone, terminated all hyperlanes leading into the affected areas, as well as allowing for an immediate joint cooperation in resisting further spread, and reclaiming "lost" regions.

The DMZ
    The DMZ contains the largest number of fully-independent states in the galaxy, and was formed as a result of the New Vohol Accords. Previously, most systems in the DMZ were aligned with the CSS. Following the New Vohol Accords, most hyperlanes that crossed the DMZ demarcation line were terminated. Moving ships into the sovereign territory of either power is thus made more difficult.

The CSS
    The CSS is a mostly homogeneous grouping of planets in open revolt against the UGS. Although not all systems are fully integrated with the CSS -- enojying varying degrees of autonomy -- they all operate as a single bloc, with one fleet, one army, and generally common policies all across the board.

The UGS
    The UGS are a Holy Roman Empire-esque collection of states that are neither integrated, nor independent. The majority of systems -- especially many of the core worlds that form the backbone of UGS manufacturing, industry, and production, as well as the largest population centres -- have a large degree of autonomy, to the point where some systems could be regarded as de-facto independent. Nevertheless, many systems in the outer region, as well as the capital itself, are directly administered by the UGS. The largest collection of these directly administered systems became the CSS upon a mass declaration of independence.

Guild Novice

New update, more systems/nations labeled, moved some things, trimmed quarantine zone lines. Feedback would be appreciated, as this is my first map.
    Last edited by JSTLF; 02-19-2017 at 05:31 PM.

Clean job, but I would love to see some color, I must say. You should post your maps here instead of a link, I guess you'll have more comments that way.

Guild Novice

Thanks for the feedback. I was thinking about colouring the quarantine zone or something like that, and I feel your desire for colour. I just don't know where colour would be quite suitable on this map.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	galaxy copy.png 
Views:	183 
Size:	1.34 MB 
ID:	92889

New map update, just rearranged some things, and added new labels and whatnot.

Edit: I uploaded the wrong file, corrected now.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	galaxy copy.png 
Views:	118 
Size:	1.25 MB 
ID:	92856  
    Last edited by JSTLF; 02-24-2017 at 04:46 PM.

It's quite unusual to have a white background on a star map. I think you need some more contrast.
    So maybe a black or dark grey or dark blue background and the colors of the stars? Just a thought.

Guild Novice Facebook Connected

I'm no expert but I actually really enjoy the style. I agree that white is unusual for a star map, but something about it with this map makes it oddly pleasing to look at. It kind of reminds me of like a bare bones map that would be given to recruit soldiers in basic training to learn land nav. Only this is like something for space marines basic training to learn the locations of key star systems or something.

Guild Novice Facebook Connected

I totally like the idea of showing the population count next to the system name. Might even adopt it for my own maps!

Also I agree on white as a unusual color for a star chart. Used it myself as it makes printing so much easier. I'd color the space controlled by the different factions (with an alpha filter of maybe 25-30% color intensity). If you use Inkscape you could use layers so you can easily switch between black&white and color map.

Don't really know if it would be appropriate for me to link a map of my own to show what I meant with coloring faction controlled space but if you have a look at my profile here you'll find some threads with links to them.

I'd also like to know more about the background. Is there a website with more in depth information? Like is it for a roleplaying campaign, a book or movie?

Cheers, Oliver

Guild Novice

The idea was indeed to make a design for the map that would not be, perhaps, traditional by using white as the background and black as the content. I feel like such a design would be suited to, for example, a website like Wikipedia where the aim is clear information above all. The colour also makes it very suitable for printing on white paper.

I was considering making a political map where space controlled by the various factions is labeled.

I don't have more background information yet, because this is just a new worldbuilding project. I might post more background on reddit (which I will link here if it's permissible when it is made), but until then the map is the full extent of information that I've put out.

I like it. The clean black and white style is kinda nice and unexpected. It reminds me of the navigation charts they were using on the CIC light-table in the new Battlestar Galactica.

Not sure how to add color. Maybe political affiliations? Or some sort of information on stellar or planetary classification if that's important to the setting? I'd use it sparingly if you do.

One thing it might benefit from is some clean iconography. I mean noting a couple of key features like if a system has a shipyard, military base, refueling point, political center, or similar. I'm kind of thinking of the sort of thing you saw in maps for the Traveller game. Posting a link to a standard Traveller map I made a while back in white:

Jewell Sector Map (White)

Guild Novice

Quote Originally Posted by mearrin69 View Post
    I like it. The clean black and white style is kinda nice and unexpected. It reminds me of the navigation charts they were using on the CIC light-table in the new Battlestar Galactica.

Not sure how to add color. Maybe political affiliations? Or some sort of information on stellar or planetary classification if that's important to the setting? I'd use it sparingly if you do.

One thing it might benefit from is some clean iconography. I mean noting a couple of key features like if a system has a shipyard, military base, refueling point, political center, or similar. I'm kind of thinking of the sort of thing you saw in maps for the Traveller game. Posting a link to a standard Traveller map I made a while back in white:

Jewell Sector Map (White)
    Thanks!

I was thinking that colour would be used solely for displaying data; different maps with different purposes would use the basic blank map and add colour to add information. For example, a map of, oh, I don't know say how many currencies a group of systems uses could have various colours for 1 currency, 2, 3, 4, etc., as well as obviously maps of political affiliations.

I agree with the need for iconography, although the majority of systems will have refueling, basic shipyards, etc., but something like marking a national capital system or military bases is definitely a good idea, so I'll probably think of a bunch more and add them sparingly. Or perhaps, since refueling stations are so common, something marking systems that don't have refueling stops. Nice map btw!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast