Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Gargantua from Interstellar

Ah! I see you use PS. And there I was thinking you were using GIMP like me! LOL!

I could adapt this to GIMP if I tried, but I think I will stick with the GIMP method I picked up from YouTube for a while until I get bored with it

EDIT: and there I go in a rush again, not saying what I meant to say... I think it looks ok, but it might look even better if you reduced the brightness of the clouds a little?
    Last edited by Mouse; 03-05-2017 at 03:45 PM.

I tend to use Photoshop, but I use GIMP for some stuff as well.

Looks like I ninjad' you with my edit - sorry!

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    Looks like I ninjad' you with my edit - sorry!
    It happens!

I think I'll have a go at that GIMP tutorial you linked to as well; this was my first attempt at a nebula.

Can't remember if I mentioned this, but Its not the easiest one to follow! Took me nearly 7 viewings to catch all the details. He's very fast, and there's no commentary.

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    Can't remember if I mentioned this, but Its not the easiest one to follow! Took me nearly 7 viewings to catch all the details. He's very fast, and there's no commentary.
    Yes, you did mention that. I haven't had a look at it yet, but I have found that to be sometimes a problem with videos - and that's why I prefer written tutorials. I recently did a Blender tutorial for an asteroid which was technically under half an hour long, certainly less for the part I was actually interested in, that took me about three hours to do because, even with commentary, the author was going so fast with his keyboard I missed stuff and kept having to take the video back.

...At which point the order of things gets a bit confused! LOL!

From my notes of the process, this is what I gathered in order of creation (in other words the first layer is the bottom layer). Can't remember the size of the new file, but that should be fairly easy to grasp from the video.

Layer 1 - Fill with black

Layer 2 - Filters/Render/Plasma (increase setting for disturbance - this creates the colour variation) Normal mode. Gaussian blur 5. Adjust the Colour balance to taste.

Layer 3 - Filters/Render/Solid Noise (This creates the cloud pattern) Dodge mode. Gaussian blur 5

Layer 4 - Straight gradient fill from black to white - Overlay mode. Adjust the direction and position until you are happy with what you can see. [EDIT: make sure you set repeat to 'none']

Layer 5 - Fill with black, then Filter/Noise/HSV Noise - put all the sliders to the top and ok. Then Colours/Levels, and adjust the bottom slider up to about 75 to reduce the snowstorm of noise. Then Filter/Light and Shadow/Sparkle, leaving the settings at default values. (That should give you a reasonable star field) Dodge mode.

Layer 6 - Transparent Layer. Filters/Light and Shadow/Supernova... add as many larger stars as you want by repeating this process. Normal mode.

I'm hoping that method is a semi-correct interpretation of what I saw, and what I did, but if you discover its wrong please just correct me on it so I don't lead anyone else down the wrong path. Thanks
    Last edited by Mouse; 03-06-2017 at 12:07 PM.

I do find written tutorials so much easier!

I'll take a look at it and see how it corresponds. Might not be for a couple of days though; I'll see how I feel.

We are opposite sides of the coin, then, because I find video tuts better... most of them anyway! LOL! Though possibly not this video

A lot of people do prefer them; I just seem to work better with text. Probably because I don't have to pause, stop or rewind it! I couldn't cope with video tutorials at all until I added a second monitor!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast