Thread: First Post, First Map, First Campaign

Map First Post, First Map, First Campaign

Hi all, new to everything - just started playing DND and joined a friend's campaign. They had a really crude drawing of their map, so I thought I'd remake it for them. I Looked over how other people do it, so this is my first attempt. I think I know how I'll do it differently next time, but it's much more fun than I thought it would be.

Attachment 93454

If I do another, I'll post the changed versions here, or just a new post, I guess?

Best,
    K

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Blaidd Drwg's Avatar

That's a first map? Holy cr**!
    Very impressive indeed

We have a section for WIP maps here: https://www.cartographersguild.com/f...splay.php?f=30
    This section is for maps that are done.

Welcome to the Guild!

Hello Karnlor and welcome into the guild
    For a first map, this one is really impressive! You already have the eye for good color choices, and your linework on mountains and forest is really good.
    I think you can improve your map by working more on shadow for your mountains, and how you use texture for water. You'll find plenty of cool tutorials here and will learn a lot by watching other cartographers work. But as i already say, a very good result for a first one, i wish my first one was that good!
    If you want to post different versions of a map you should post in the mapmaking discution section, probably the Regional/world mapping for this one, and only post in finished map when you feel you can't improve your map anymore.

Default Thanks

Ah, thanks for the link to the WIP - I missed that. Yeah I'll post my variations over there.

Unfortunately I can't take too much credit for this one on the mountains and trees - I downloaded some mountain and forest brushes to make this, I just wanted to get a hang of the idea of it first, before seeing how I should make my own mountain brushes. But yeah, I want to make my own set, I feel that theres so much you can do with maps that I want all the variability that comes with customization haha.

Thank you for the tips and kudos, I'm still figuring this out - unfortunately this one little map took like 6 hours to make :/ I had to download all the textures, get the brushes, figure out some stuff from tutorials. I think the next one will be much faster, hopefully, and better looking.

But for the most part I'm happy with this as a first map. Definitely going to do some things differently with the shading/topography of things. Been looking at some examples from the others I see on here, so I know which way I'll go.

Thanks for the welcome!

Very great work for a first map! As said before, you have a knack for colors and the terrain texturing is just great! There's certainly some things that can be improved, but for a first map this is very good!

Nice start ! You did a very good use of the brush set and, as the others stated, your coloring skills are very promising.

Very nice work for a first map, indeed. Excellent colors and I really like those big trees near Ebony Mires.