Thread: [WIP] Parchment Map

Default [WIP] Parchment Map

I'm working my way through Jezelf's great tutorial and figured I'd post my WIP here. This map is going to be for a new D&D campaign that I will be running. Still a long way to go but the map is starting to come together so I figured I'd post some WIP images.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3pEA3Bi.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	118.6 KB 
ID:	93127
    Last edited by Aabra69; 03-01-2017 at 04:53 PM.

Guild Novice Facebook Connected Jeffmaster223's Avatar

Looks cool so far. Are you going to add any more rivers? It seems a little sparse.

I'm planning on adding a lot more features... cities, forests, mountains... I was thinking of adding more rivers but I didn't want to take up the entire map with them. Some of the smaller islands though definitely need them. I don't have a lot of experience with this though so I'm not sure just how many I should have. I've only made battle maps previously so this is my first attempt at this kind of map. Feedback on this is definitely appreciated.

Thought I'd post an update to this. After lots of experimentation I think I've decided upon the style of features/forests/mountains/etc that I want to use. Not the greatest I know but again this is my first map of this kind. Feedback and tips are appreciated.

Edit: Actually quick question... I'm planning on having a volcanic/lava area but I'm having trouble finding some good photoshop brushes/symbols for it that match with the ones I'm currently using for forests/etc. I could really use some suggestions if anyone knows some good ones.

Name:	noAFBtq.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	564.4 KB 
ID:	93176
    Last edited by Aabra69; 03-03-2017 at 02:37 AM.

Guild Artisan Guild Supporter Tenia's Avatar

Hi, I like the design, maybe forests and mountains are a little too dark compared to coastlines and rivers ?

Looks very promising. A little feedback - At the moment it looks a little heavy with the forest and swamps. Perhaps lighten up the forest/swamp icons a little or in someway lower the contrast?

Thanks for the feedback guys. I've both decreased the opacity of the forest/mountains/swamp and I also decreased the density of the icons for the forest and swamp. I also added several cities to the map. Hopefully this at least partially addresses the issues you mentioned above.

Name:	eD9sOev.jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	537.8 KB 
ID:	93337

Guild Artisan Guild Supporter Tenia's Avatar

Hi Aabra69. I dig the font... One of the rules of labels placement is to try to avoid overlapping (but the rules are here to be broken, now ? ) Depending of what you plan to add on your map, you could perhaps move some labels and/or reduce the font size but I am not sure for the later. Just a suggestion, others will have better advices for sure !
    Regards