Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bandits Nest Battlemap - Roll20 Adaptation WIP

Default Bandits Nest Battlemap - Roll20 Adaptation WIP

Starting to work on Bandits Nest, the next Roll20 conversion of the Dungeons on Demand series. This one will be a bit of a doozy, a temple hidden deep in a thick forest:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ctg1.jpg 
Views:	386 
Size:	331.6 KB 
ID:	93775

Roll20 advises having a size of 140x140px for every grid square, which would make this map incredibly large and not the best for slower computers. Part of the project here will likely be to try and tile elements of the map where possible and have buildings/unique elements laid on top. I'll probably work on it as one large image (with lots of layers) and then break it up once I'm happy with the end result.

Updates to come!

Okay, here's day one: Getting shapes in place and starting to think about tones/shading. Mostly just experimenting.

Name:	ctg2.jpg 
Views:	123 
Size:	401.0 KB 
ID:	93778

New wrinkle: Reading through the module again, and I'm now realizing that this setting is supposed to be a nighttime adventure. Considering this will use Roll20's Dynamic Lighting, it's a bit of a brain bender in terms of how things should be colored.

I think the idea should be to paint the map as if everything is fully lit by a torch, and then allow the dynamic lighting areas to take care of the rest? Or is that going to look unnatural?

If anyone has experience with this, I'm all ears.

Update! I think trees are going to end up being the very last thing I do on this map.

The 'lit' area on the north end of the map is a 15 foot hill that the top building sits on top of.

Name:	ctg_bandit.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	1.60 MB 
ID:	94063

More work! Stone floors, walkway polish, more details.

Views:	64 
Size:	754.5 KB 
ID:	94086

Guild Novice

Wow, looks really good! I love the colors that you've used

Sent from my LG-D852 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Krazee View Post
    Wow, looks really good! I love the colors that you've used
    Thanks! Definitely being influenced by the nighttime motif I'm trying to capture. Laying down this cool overall lighting and then i'll put in some warm accents for torchlight.

Guild Adept Guild Sponsor

That's definitely a big step. Looks good.

One minor nitpick -- the slope down from the northernmost building no longer looks like a hill. Instead it looks like two paths through the trees.

Sorry about the long delay between updates, my day job came knocking.

Here's the almost finished product, still missing some small narrative details:

Views:	297 
Size:	1.09 MB 
ID:	95695

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast