Thread: Repetitive Elements in Photoshop

Default Repetitive Elements in Photoshop

I have a question about the best way to place repetitive elements on a map when using Photoshop, such as trees or mountains. I'm aware that this can be done using the Brush Mixer, which is what I've been attempting to do. Painting with it is fine, or just placing individual trees here and there with some size and/or angle jitter, etc. I tend to just click and place a single tree and then do them over an area this way using variant trees, although I do paint with the brush over larger areas for a "base". My issue, however, is that when I click to place a tree, any subsequent tree is placed beneath the previous one(s). Is there any way to change that, to vary the layering/z-index with each click?

You need to use the duplicate tool instead of the standard brushes, and use plain colours instead of transparent shapes. Brushes have transparency, so there is no way to avoid the problem your having unless you use plain coloured brushes.

Map

Ahh, okay. I see what you mean, found an article about duplicating a layer, or an element on a layer. I can do that, create some larger blocks of trees, and then do it that way, that'll work. Thanks for the tip, much appreciated! I'm working on a Darlene style map, as found in the maps of the AD&D 1980 Greyhawk Folio and 1983 boxed set. Here's what I have thus far...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Terrene_Map_Test.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	317.4 KB 
ID:	93823