Thread: Finished City Map - Verinia

Map Finished City Map - Verinia

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Verinia3.png 
Views:	336 
Size:	3.02 MB 
ID:	93996

Hi everyone, new to the community but everyone has been great so far! Here's a map of the city of Verinia, the focal point of a homebrew RPG campaign I'm kicking off. My play group is pretty light-hearted, so the tone of the setting is going to match. The map has a couple of touches for fun - two easter eggs for a couple of my players and some "fun facts" about the city. Verinia is a hub in a fantasy world that is recovering from a magical cataclysm and beginning to experience a technological renaissance. That's the feel I was going for - light, optimistic, and a little silly.

The method is probably a little unorthodox, to say the least. I actually created the city in Planet Coaster - the terrain tools are pretty solid and I used a combination of some buildings I built and some from the Steam workshop. Then it's a screenshot, some editing in GIMP (fixing glitches, adding some detail), and G'MIC filters to get the painted effect.

The WIP thread is here, though it picks up in the middle. I can add more detail if folks would like.

Any suggestions for improving my technique would be appreciated - the constructive feedback posts have really helped me so far!

I don't see anything wrong with your technique at all. Its a great map, and I hope to see more from you

Very nice map. It has something of a tourist map/illustration, somehow.

Quote Originally Posted by Ilanthar View Post
    Very nice map. It has something of a tourist map/illustration, somehow.
    Thanks, I definitely had that in my head. My home town had an illustrated/stylized map you could see posted in businesses, etc. that probably inspired me a bit.

Fantastic map! I do agree that the method is unorthodox, but it certainly is creative and works well because the map looks stunning, so there's nothing wrong with it.
    Good job.

Great work on this! I love the perspective. Love the idea of invisible buildings too!
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

I think it is a fun and attractive map.
    I also hope to see more from you.

Quote Originally Posted by ChickPea View Post
    Great work on this! I love the perspective. Love the idea of invisible buildings too!
    They tried just re-painting them, it didn't take

Thanks for the kind words, all. Feeling very welcomed by the great community here!