Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: (WIP) Arvellon, capital of Eowyl Viceroyalty

Nice work Tom
    It's really coming along well.
    Lots of nice building variations.

I'm really loving all these timelapses of yours. It's so interesting to watch how other cartographers work and what their workflow is like, especially an expert like yourself. The map is coming along beautiful, the detail you put into those buildings is outstanding. Great job!

I offer map commissions for RPG's, world-building, and books
    PORFOLIO | INSTAGRAM

These are absolutely fantastic!

Thank you so much!

And I love the comments you hand write to explain things

Thank you very much guys! I'm glad you appreciated it
    Now it's time to throw in a little background for anyone who's interested..
    Arvellon is a city located in my fictional world of Heimur, on Graenlandir Gray coast.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Gray Coast.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	1.64 MB 
ID:	94428
    Ylos is a big Island inhabited by an old race of elves which "landed" on this planets ages ago and has tried to came back home since then.
    At a first glance they look similar to classical fantasy "high elves", but more exotic and "gloomy".
    They are masters of magic and technology, and consider all other races as inferior beings.
    Centuries ago, Eowyl was a peaceful realm populated by humans and halflings so it was easily conquered by Ylos elves, who subjugated the entire region under their tyranny.
    After several dark ages, a human uprising managed to repel the invasion but only for a little while, because the elves returned and almost annhilated the whole population with their dark powers. At the end of this terrible war, Ylos elves introduced the gnome population in the area - some speculations says that they were created in laboratory by elves, others say gnomes where "imported" from elsewhere, still the truth is unknown - as they proved to be mild creatures, easy to control and obedient to authority.
    Eowyl prospered since then, and now Ylos elves rule the country like a protectorate ,giving the name "Viceroyalty of Eowyl". Arvellon is the capital of such realm, divided between elven, gnomes, humans, halflings and other creatures, is an intersting meltin pot wich may reveal as a working example of cohexistence, but it still may hide the roots of a future rebellion..

I've completed the main square, the military preside, and the government/academy district.
    The blue district is for elven only, and I'm struggling a bit to depict elven architecture at this scale, I hope that will looks like "elvish" or at least exotic when I will add the colors.

### Latest WIP ###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Arvellon_7.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	1.07 MB 
ID:	94464

Good to se more Heimur action And the city is wonderful. Thanks a lot for showing your process

Well, there's a lot to discover in this city! I really like the diversity, it's like many cities made one.
    I'm definitely looking forward to see it finished!

I just wanted to say that I messed up badly... I accidentally saved the .psd file flattened, now I want to smash everything
    I lost so much work and resources that I don't know how to move on.. I guess that this project will be delayed until I figure out, sorry

Oh no! Do you not have an earlier version you can salvage?

I know you don't want to hear this right now, but I've lost maps too, and I've carried on and remade them from the ground up, most notably Merelan City. Oddly enough I've always found they look better the second time around. It's like you learn so much without being aware of it, and you avoid all the tiny mistakes the second time.

Please don't smash anything!

Quote Originally Posted by Tom View Post
    I just wanted to say that I messed up badly... I accidentally saved the .psd file flattened, now I want to smash everything
    I lost so much work and resources that I don't know how to move on.. I guess that this project will be delayed until I figure out, sorry
    Oh man, so sorry to hear that. I can understand your feelings of frustration and rage!
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast