Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The mammoth project of Aventuria

Professional Artist SteffenBrand's Avatar

Default The mammoth project of Aventuria

Hey =)

About 8 or 9 month ago I started the biggest project I have ever done and - most likely - will ever do. A remake of Aventuria, a continent about real 35 years of gaming shaped by players of the most successful German Tabletop-RPG.

The document is about 2.5 meters / 8.2 feet high, with over 400dpi and over 2,000 layers with a typography height of 9.5 (for reference). I included a colored shape of the original map so you see which part I worked on.

It is both daunting and exciting to work on this. And sure, I can't do some things I can only do when I'm able to collapse some stuff so you have to wait for the final iteration until I'm completely done. The compass binds all the sets together since they are splitted in several products and there will probably be about 20 different compass designs.
    You maybe have seen another one of my maps on the following cover: LINK. It is of the same region.

Without any further words - there you go. I know I sound confident, but I'm hesitant. I've stared too long at it already - you probably know what I mean (yes, I'm a bit scared to show ^^').

Best wishes, Steffen

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	previwe_A2_AlberniaWindhag_Detailliert1700.jpg 
Views:	443 
Size:	889.9 KB 
ID:	94201
    Last edited by SteffenBrand; 04-03-2017 at 04:14 PM.
    Visit me on ArtStation.

OMG, so this is what you've been up to. What an incredible project!

Really impressive Steffen! I wonder how much ram do you need to run a file like that..

Community Leader Guild Sponsor - Max -'s Avatar

The map itself is well done though I have to admit I'm not really fond of this mapmaking style.

Guild Master Facebook Connected - JO -'s Avatar

That's a work of a lifetime !
    Really impressive to imagine all the stories and adventures that took place in this huge world during 35 years !
    I'll be looking at your maps to fellow this gigantic work !

This is absolutely amazing Steffen, and boy, this is one ambitious project! This bit is already looking great. I love the little patches of cities and villages. Is this going to be one huge map divided into ~20 pieces, or will it actually be ~20 individual maps?

I'll certainly keep an eye on this one!

Professional Artist SteffenBrand's Avatar

@Falconius: Not the only thing, but mostly, yes. Thank you! =)

@Tom: 32GB. My publisher had a setup made by our IT-Guy not only for this, but I often handle very large files. But it still takes aaaaages to save something. Thank you!

@- Max -: Thank you! It is a style born out of both necessity that is both resourceful (with an eye ahead) and a compromise between some styles. I guess it'll look better once I can go over everything again in the end to polish a bit more. But with every style, it is of cause a matter of taste, too =)

@- JO -: Thank you so much, - JO -! =) Yes, there are A LOT of official adventures, a lot of players of a specific area only focusing on politics of that area, many homebrew adventures, novels, computer-games, etc... a lot of stuff. =)

@DanielHasenbos: Thanks! =) Both, actually. There will be one huge map, but there will be ~20 maps of the regions, too. Only for this there is an additional overlay of politics, one for the regions, baronies, etc., too. There are regional source-books focusing on these realms of about 200+ pages each. As there are a lot of city maps available, I decided to shape every city roughly what it would actually look like from above. =)

Thank you guys so much! =)
    Steffen
    Last edited by SteffenBrand; 04-03-2017 at 04:16 PM.
    Visit me on ArtStation.

Whaaaaaa, makes my head hurt, just thinking about the size of this project.
    Out of curiosity... what's your estimate for the time until completion... of the entire thing?
    Cartography by Matthias Rothenaicher. Portfolio: Website | DeviantArt

How big?

Unbelievable.

Great map, though I have similar tastes to Max with this style. It takes a true artist to make it look as good as this

Wow, just ... Wow. Very impressive undertaking. I'm eager to see where it will go.

Cheers,
    Tainotim

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast