Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Black Sails Bay

Guild Master Facebook Connected - JO -'s Avatar

Wip Black Sails Bay

Hello !

I've just started another regional map from the world Nossym...

It is a crucial part of the world, where the sea routes to the north must pass through these archipelagos ... and thus it is a place favorable to piracy.
    There is also this strait to the west, entirely occupied by a city, where a system of locks allows ships to pass from one ocean to the other ...

I just started and I jumped a little bit into this project without thinking. I guess I'm going to try and fail a lot and I hope I can count on your help.

I also hope to make a map a bit more sophisticated than the first I posted on this forum last year.

Comments and critics are welcome !

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	La baie des Voiles Noires.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	5.55 MB 
ID:	94596

Nice start. The colour palette is great. Looking forward to seeing it progress!

I offer map commissions for RPG's, world-building, and books
    PORFOLIO | INSTAGRAM

I like the colors, less the automated coastal waves. My two cents, I usually use those as a basis then draw over them with a lowered flow brush to get an uneven feel that works wonders.

I'm not getting a sense of scale with this map, - JO -. Seems like a huge portion of a continent, but then the islands (large and small) don't quite match that and on top of it, you call it a "bay". Other than that, the colors are very nice and the area seems ripe for pirates.

I like the colours too, though with my tastes I'd like to see a bit more contrast between the land and the water. Maybe darker water and paler land?

I think the scale may become more obvious when you start to add the mountains and rivers

Very attractive start!
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

Quote Originally Posted by ChickPea View Post
    Very attractive start!
    Quote Originally Posted by Josiah VE View Post
    Nice start. The colour palette is great. Looking forward to seeing it progress!
    Thanks !

Quote Originally Posted by Pixie View Post
    I'm not getting a sense of scale with this map, - JO -. Seems like a huge portion of a continent, but then the islands (large and small) don't quite match that and on top of it, you call it a "bay". Other than that, the colors are very nice and the area seems ripe for pirates.
    Now you should have a better understanding of the scale, as I started to draw mountains... Hope the scale is right ! And as for "bay" maybe it's my poor english ? Can you tell me what was wrong ?

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    I like the colours too, though with my tastes I'd like to see a bit more contrast between the land and the water. Maybe darker water and paler land?

I think the scale may become more obvious when you start to add the mountains and rivers
    Thanks Mouse ! The color should'nt be a problem, once I've colored the woods and mountains... It was just for the choice or "tone" (?)

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasR View Post
    I like the colors, less the automated coastal waves. My two cents, I usually use those as a basis then draw over them with a lowered flow brush to get an uneven feel that works wonders.
    I hear you Thomrey !
    So, I've tried to draw those lines by hand... but by lack of skill, I think, it was really bad. Then, I did them automatically, but with more and more "lissé" (smoothing ?) and I found it was acceptable... Then I took a second look on the maps in which I found inspiration... None of them had coast lines (or just a few short lines), so I tried this.. I hope you find it OK !

So : no more lines, mountains, forest, rivers, lakes, some hills, the two major cities... and a lot more to go :

Name:	La baie des Voiles Noires 02.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	7.36 MB 
ID:	94643

You really brought it to life ! Great job Joël !

Thanks Thomas !

Here's a new update : I did some coastline again. I found that the previous ones lacked interest, especially if it's in the middle of the map... Now there are more creeks and bays (?), so more places to hide a ship or a treasure !

I intend to draw some more woods and then add details in the mountains (and redraw those cities with more precision)...

Name:	La baie des Voiles Noires 03.jpg 
Views:	138 
Size:	7.45 MB 
ID:	94676

There's certainly a lot more of interest to see now that you have started to add the geomorphology in.

I haven't seen this method before - turning the mountains and forests white. Now you've got me all intrigued as to what you're going to do to them next

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast