Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tonnichiwa's Bookmark Disaster's

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Tonnichiwa's Avatar

Default Tonnichiwa's Bookmark Disaster's

I'm not very good at converting things mathematically so I have no idea if this is even the right size. But here is my try at a bookmark: This was done with a cartoon style and also a Pete Fenlon style.

### Latest WIP ###
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bookmark Map.PNG 
Views:	54 
Size:	470.4 KB 
ID:	94651  

That's a lovely cheerful bookmark Tony

It's showing as being about 28 x 8 inches when I open it in GIMP, and only 72 dpi. Not sure what to suggest about that, but I'd start by raising the dpi (which will automatically make it smaller anyway)

Nice work, Tonnichiwa! About the size, your image is 2000x572px. For comparison, mine were 2100px x 600px (that was 7" x 2" at 300dpi) so you're broadly similar.

Mouse, about the dpi thing, I think Tonnichiwa's in the ballpark with his sizes, if you go with the pixel size. His image is 2000px long, which at 72 dpi would indeed give you a print size of approx. 28" (i.e. 2000 divided by 72 = 27.7777). However, if you divide 2000 by 300(dpi), you'll get 6.6667" - a lot closer to bookmark size. But isn't this a printer setting, rather than something that needs to be adjusted within an image editor? For what it's worth, when I opened Tonni's image in Gimp, it showed the resolution at 300dpi, and the size as 48.43 x 169.33mm, which translates to approx. 1.91" x 6.66". I must have something set differently in Gimp from you.
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

Well isn't that a mystery.... hmmm

When I open it in GIMP myself on the default settings for everything (because I'm such a newb with GIMP I haven't got around to changing anything yet) it opens at 72 dpi, and would require a piece of A3 paper to print! LOL!

I don't recall changing anything in Gimp, though I may well have done at some point, and I don't even have a printer hooked up to this PC, but when I look in Image Properties in Gimp, this is what I see...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	33.5 KB 
ID:	94666

EDIT: I may have an idea what's going on. I had right-clicked on the image and copied it, then in Gimp (where I already had something opened) I click Edit / Paste as New Image. That gave me the settings above. However, if I save the image then open it in gimp, I get what you have above. I'm wondering if Gimp has picked up settings from the image I currently have open (my current image is using 300dpi).

However, my point still stands, that if you set your printer to 300dpi, you should get a roughly bookmark-sized image.
    Last edited by ChickPea; 04-17-2017 at 10:05 AM.
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

I must have done something to my setup...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tonys bookmark properties.JPG 
Views:	19 
Size:	151.1 KB 
ID:	94667

Or maybe its something to do with different versions of GIMP?

My bad anyway - don't worry about it. I always have peculiar things happen with my software so this is nothing out of the ordinary for me, and I'm well used to working around all such oddities. I shall simply change the dpi to 300 before I print it out... when I mend the printer

Thanks Mouse and Chickpea The map style is very similar to a very old game system from a game company called Iron Crown Enterprises. The game was based on the game system called Rolemaster, but the name of the actual game was "Middle-Earth Role Playing".

When I exported the map, I looked in the manual for how I should export it for printing. It said to take the number of inches that I wanted the map to be and multiply it by 150. Then enter the total into my boxes for map width and height. So that's what I did. I'm sure exporting it changed it slightly because I checked the box for anti-ailiasing and made it 25%. And I also had it crop the image to the map border. So it should be somewhere near the 2" by 7" mark.

Nice one Tonni, keep them coming

Thanks ThomasR. Hopefully I can get a few more before long. Still trying to figure out what to do next.

Very Nice Bookmark!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast