Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Kacey's Bookmarks

Guild Expert

Here's bookmark 2, it's not done yet, I'm struggling with adding trees so I thought I'd make a wip of it, there's still a bit of work to do, but I'm happy enough with how the mountains are shaping up that I thought I could add my real name which isn't Kacey btw. The corner pieces are pretty rough because I just free handed them, I hate using the pen tool... I'm hoping to get some critique before I move on.

### Latest WIP ###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bookmark #2.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	613.7 KB 
ID:	95062

Ah, it looks so fantastic B. ! Your thoughtful arrangement of landscape, the choice of colours and the fine linework is always so pleasing to the eye. I really like the details along the coast. Gives it a totally different feel. Also, the hand drawn corner elements look awesome btw and fit your work much better than the sometimes too "sterile" looking pen tooled elements, in my view. Wouldn't know what to critique really. Keep up the great inspiring work, i'm always eager to see more of it!
    Map is not territory...
    Current work in progress:Korobrom | My finished maps
    My DeviantArt site and Twitter

Guild Expert

Thanks so much Abu I'm glad you like my second bookmark even though it isn't finished yet, I really appreciate this very kind comment.

Well, I'm seeing some very pretty colouring on this bookmark!

It looks fantastic, kacey. The corner decoration are lovely and really finish it off. I'd love to see this in one of my books.
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

Oh this is really pretty already

Come on Kacey! Not the old tree thing again? You can do it Just stretch out your arms and think 'I'm a tr...' no-no, that's not it is it!

Ahem. Well. Maybe have a look at Thomas's Alice map for a bit of inspiration? The trees on there are totally splendid

This is another great bookmark Kacey!
    The mountains are wonderful once again, and I'm looking forward to seeing how you end up doing the trees.
    I agree with Chickpea about the corner decorations. They're beautiful, and I think I want to try something like that.
    I have come to be a great admirer of your maps.

I offer map commissions for RPG's, world-building, and books
    PORFOLIO | INSTAGRAM

Guild Expert

Quote Originally Posted by ChickPea View Post
    Well, I'm seeing some very pretty colouring on this bookmark!

It looks fantastic, kacey. The corner decoration are lovely and really finish it off. I'd love to see this in one of my books.
    Thanks ChickPea, I think this is about as much colour as you'll ever see from me, the waters not done yet I think it's a bit too solid still, and I did try doing the green land thing on this but like always it didn't turn out, every time I try that I find that the land just looks better neutral, I may add colour to the trees though if I can manage to draw them well enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    Oh this is really pretty already

Come on Kacey! Not the old tree thing again? You can do it Just stretch out your arms and think 'I'm a tr...' no-no, that's not it is it!

Ahem. Well. Maybe have a look at Thomas's Alice map for a bit of inspiration? The trees on there are totally splendid
    Thanks Mouse, I'm trying to get over this tree thing, I just find them really difficult for some reason, there's definitely allot of inspiration around here, I really like Abu's trees I wish I could do them like him, and I also really like Josiah, and Voolf's trees so I've been pouring over they're maps the last few days, I'm hoping if I stare at them long enough I'll magically be able to re create the look, but no luck so far. I'm going to try again, but I may have to resort to the handy little tree brush I made for my Ehren map.

Quote Originally Posted by Josiah VE View Post
    This is another great bookmark Kacey!
    The mountains are wonderful once again, and I'm looking forward to seeing how you end up doing the trees.
    I agree with Chickpea about the corner decorations. They're beautiful, and I think I want to try something like that.
    I have come to be a great admirer of your maps.
    Thanks Josiah this means allot to me since I'm a big fan of you're work, I think I have every one of you're maps in my inspiration folder and look to them often for reference though I'm not able to recreate the style. I'm glad you like the corner decorations because I was unsure about them, and I feel a little better now that you guy's aprove.

Guild Master Facebook Connected - JO -'s Avatar

Beautiful work ... you should'nt hesitate to take the pen and draw by hand, I think the decorations in the corner are excellent

Guild Expert

Thanks JO, it's definitely more fun to do things by hand, I find the pen tool, and vectors tedious, and boring.

Quote Originally Posted by kacey View Post
    I did try doing the green land thing on this but like always it didn't turn out, every time I try that I find that the land just looks better neutral, I may add colour to the trees though if I can manage to draw them well enough.
    I totally understand what you're talking about. To me greenish "land" colours often seem to be somewhat out of place compared with the beauty of a plain parchment

Quote Originally Posted by kacey View Post
    Thanks Mouse, I'm trying to get over this tree thing, I just find them really difficult for some reason, there's definitely allot of inspiration around here, I really like Abu's trees I wish I could do them like him, and I also really like Josiah, and Voolf's trees so I've been pouring over they're maps the last few days, I'm hoping if I stare at them long enough I'll magically be able to re create the look, but no luck so far. I'm going to try again, but I may have to resort to the handy little tree brush I made for my Ehren map.
    Well, first of all i think trees are generally overrated! Never let them make you feel stressed. They seem to be just that type of terrain that crashes every party without being invited in the first place . There are just so many examples of beautiful landscapes without vegetation
    Given that trees and forests have been my nemesis for a long time (and still haunt me in my dreams from time to time), i feel flattered that you like my take on them. But i honestly think they'd look a bit too clumsy and cartoonish around your elegantly drawn mountains.
    The path you chose on your Ehren map (maybe a tad more defined) seems more appropriate for the style of map you developed in my view.
    Map is not territory...
    Current work in progress:Korobrom | My finished maps
    My DeviantArt site and Twitter

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast