Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Kacey's Bookmarks

Guild Expert

Thanks Abu, I'll definitely take you up on that advice, and use the Ehren brush on it, this will make my life a whole lot easier... Maybe bright colours and bubbly trees just isn't my style...Though I still haven't figured out what that is yet.

If you add some forest to this and subtle colour, you will have a map for Cartographer's Choice. Kepp working on this style kacey, it is a winner.

Quote Originally Posted by Voolf View Post
    If you add some forest to this and subtle colour, you will have a map for Cartographer's Choice. Kepp working on this style kacey, it is a winner.
    ^

That! Very nice bookmarks kacey, and especially the last one is very appealing to me!

Guild Expert

Thanks Voolf, and Daniel, these were really nice comments, you just topped off my morning, I appreciate it.

I've gotten a little distracted the past few days but I'll definitely get some trees on there, and do some subtle colour experiments like Voolf suggested.

I was planning on doing a whole map in the style of the last one after I'm done with my guild world map, it's taken up most of my attention lately And I'm not even past the planning stages.

Guild Expert

I did a little test patch with trees and some subtle colour, I'm not really impressed with the results I think it changes the feel I was going for too much, but I'd like to know what you guys think anyway. I'm looking for some critique on what I could do differently to get better results, and also would like to know which trees are better, the single ones, the clumpy ones, both together, none, or something different entirely.

I kind of feel like it ruins the style...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bookmark 2 colour and tree test.png 
Views:	80 
Size:	1.47 MB 
ID:	95194

I think the single ones are best Not keen on the clumps.

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

I like those 'clumpy' forests a lot! The linework on them fits the rest of the map, and the color looks great. I like the single trees too, but there's just something about the bigger forests that I love. I think you should do the whole thing in both styles. (Not asking much, right? )

Reducing the highlight on trees may help kacey. Break the stroke that goes along upper part to make trees more jagged, see how that works. Colour is fine by me.

I like the clumps too. They help to 'sell' the idea of a forest more effectively than the single trees (though the single trees look good too).
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

Guild Expert

Thanks for the advice guy's...I'll have to use it on the next one, in the end I just decided to do the same type of trees that I did on my Ehren map, I like that there subtle, and don't feel overly intrusive almost as if they could be part of the texture.

I don't feel like these are finished, but I'm done with them for now, I think I'll have to start an experiments thread for small sketchy stuff like this in the future.

### Latest WIP ###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bookmarks.png 
Views:	99 
Size:	4.30 MB 
ID:	95246

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast