Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Kacey's Bookmarks

I think they are just right

Beautiful work, Kacey. One day I will print them back to back on a double sided bookmark.

Quote Originally Posted by kacey View Post
    . . . I don't feel like these are finished, but I'm done with them for now, I think I'll have to start an experiments thread for small sketchy stuff like this in the future.
    Oh, those are lovely, kacey!

and about the experiment thread... Yes. Yes. Yes.

Guild Expert

Thanks guys!

And just so you know Chashio that idea came from you, I've been creeping on you're experiment thread lately, and find it very inspiring.

Thanks guys!

And just so you know Chashio that idea came from you, I've been creeping on you're experiment thread lately, and find it very inspiring.
    It is nice to know that people are enjoying it.

Guild Master Facebook Connected - JO -'s Avatar

For what it's worth, I like your idea of ​​making forests rather than isolated trees.
    They may be just a bit too "bushy": maybe with smaller convolution and softer lighting, you would have liked them more ?
    It's just my opinion...
    Anyway, the bookmark looks great !

Guild Expert

Quote Originally Posted by - JO - View Post
    They may be just a bit too "bushy": maybe with smaller convolution and softer lighting, you would have liked them more ?
    I think you're absolutely right, whenever I try to do this type of trees they end up too bubbly looking and cartoonish, this is what bugs me about them. I've seen people do them in a much more elegant way then I've been able to achieve which is why I keep trying, but my hand just won't do the type of lines I'm after. I think it just boils down to practice, I really haven't worked on trees all that much, I imagine it's going to take a good deal more experience on my part before I'm able enough to do this style of trees on an actual map.

I think the bushy trees would look fine if the mountains were twice as large as they are, so maybe its just a case of comparative scale?

You could try imagining that you were drawing a forest of 6 ft high shrubs, and maybe that would end up looking like 50ft trees?

I think you're absolutely right, whenever I try to do this type of trees they end up too bubbly looking and cartoonish, this is what bugs me about them. I've seen people do them in a much more elegant way then I've been able to achieve which is why I keep trying, but my hand just won't do the type of lines I'm after. I think it just boils down to practice, I really haven't worked on trees all that much, I imagine it's going to take a good deal more experience on my part before I'm able enough to do this style of trees on an actual map.
    Regarding the "tree nemesis" (and many other things in fact) a quote from one of the more spiritually inclined masters of drawing (for me at least ), Jean Giraud came to my mind: "When you draw, you must first cleanse yourself of deep feelings, like hate, happiness, ambition, etc."
    Please take these oh so wise words with a grain of salt Kacey, since i'm rarely able to overcome them myself...

Would love to see an experiment thread of yours btw.!
    Map is not territory...
    Current work in progress:Korobrom | My finished maps
    My DeviantArt site and Twitter

kacey these bookmarks are wonderful Those mountains are excellently done and the forests are just perfect.

Guild Expert

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    I think the bushy trees would look fine if the mountains were twice as large as they are, so maybe its just a case of comparative scale?

You could try imagining that you were drawing a forest of 6 ft high shrubs, and maybe that would end up looking like 50ft trees?
    I definitely had a hard time with the scale, since I print everything I create I make a habit of regularly checking my work at print size and in this case those bushy trees are nothing more then green blobs when viewed at actual size, I think it might be worth my while to try again on a bigger map until I get the hang of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Abu Lafia View Post
    Regarding the "tree nemesis" (and many other things in fact) a quote from one of the more spiritually inclined masters of drawing (for me at least ), Jean Giraud came to my mind: "When you draw, you must first cleanse yourself of deep feelings, like hate, happiness, ambition, etc."
    Please take these oh so wise words with a grain of salt Kacey, since i'm rarely able to overcome them myself...

Would love to see an experiment thread of yours btw.!
    Wise words indeed!

Quote Originally Posted by Straf View Post
    kacey these bookmarks are wonderful Those mountains are excellently done and the forests are just perfect.
    Thanks Straf, I'm glad you like the forests since I struggled with them so much.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast