Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Voolf's Bookmark(s)

Guild Expert

Very nicely done... again... I'm running out of things to say about you're beautiful work, it's amazing as always.

Quote Originally Posted by Chashio View Post
    Oh

You totally just awed me with that one.
    I think you actually bumped my motivation to try subterranean mapping into the top 20 things I want to try next.
    That is very nice compliment Chashio. It is nice to hear my work motivates people

I'm also curious how long it took... though, do you have a guess of time per stage? [drawing, shade, color, or whatever you do] ninja'd I'll rephrase... In what order do you generally work, regarding stage?
    My usuall process is:
    1. Lines
    2. Flat colours or texture
    2. Shade
    3. Light
    4. Is a mess its generally more shade, more light, more colours. Good word for that is probably refinement.

But this works only if i am 100% sure what and where to draw - if i have planned everything. With this one i have not and i drew and erased many times. I could not decide what i want and in what style. Usually when i am experimeting like that, i do all the stages for one section of the map (or one kind of things, i.e. trees) then i move to another section and start from 1st to 4th stage again.

I would say that this one took me about 5 hours, maybe more. The map changed 3 times in the process

Quote Originally Posted by kacey
    Very nicely done... again... I'm running out of things to say about you're beautiful work, it's amazing as always.
    Thanks Kacey, next time just simple "good job" will be enough (of course if you like it)

That's actually a rather tidy process... compared with mine. [1. see something that looks kinda like X; 2. hmm...; 3. add a bit here, there, fix this and that...; 3 1/2. hmm, well, now it kinda looks more like...; 3 3/4. mess about with stuffs; 3 7/8. darn, well, ok...; 4. continue to make a giant mess until it starts looking half decent.]

I may attempt something like yours [order of progression] when I try a sub.t map. Though I might nix the lines... my natural inclination to think in light/shade.
    Interesting and innumerable the ways there are to go about it.

Thank you for the answers! Much appreciated

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Meshon's Avatar

I love the cast shadow coming in at the bottom. These look great!

They're both really yummy

Sorry - I've been repping like crazy over the last couple of weeks, but I still haven't been able to catch ten others to rep since I last repped you for the first bookmark! LOL!

New bookmark is gorgeous! It's very atmospheric.

I'm amused by your talk of stages in creation. Man, mine would be something like 1, 2, 3, 2, 3, delete, 1, 2, close file & go out, 2, 3, I hate this map, 2, 3, some crying in the corner, 3, 2, gnashing of teeth, 3, 4, hallelujah, I'm finished! I never want to see this *&@%ing map again...

"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

That's actually a rather tidy process... compared with mine. [1. see something that looks kinda like X; 2. hmm...; 3. add a bit here, there, fix this and that...; 3 1/2. hmm, well, now it kinda looks more like...; 3 3/4. mess about with stuffs; 3 7/8. darn, well, ok...; 4. continue to make a giant mess until it starts looking half decent.]

I may attempt something like yours [order of progression] when I try a sub.t map. Though I might nix the lines... my natural inclination to think in light/shade.
    Interesting and innumerable the ways there are to go about it.

Thank you for the answers! Much appreciated
    You are very welcome. I try to keep my work tidy, but the things i wrote above is just a theory, in practice i jump between everything too. Actually i find beauty in that chaos, i really admire people who can paint without lines just with the appropiate colours, sometimes on one layer ! Your art seems to be like that and i love it.

Quote Originally Posted by Meshon View Post
    I love the cast shadow coming in at the bottom. These look great!
    Thanks Meshon

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    They're both really yummy

Sorry - I've been repping like crazy over the last couple of weeks, but I still haven't been able to catch ten others to rep since I last repped you for the first bookmark! LOL!
    I can imagine, Mouse looking for inactive, innocent as lamb users and throw rep in ther faces, "You dont need it? I don't care, take one" haha

Quote Originally Posted by ChickPea View Post
    New bookmark is gorgeous! It's very atmospheric.

I'm amused by your talk of stages in creation. Man, mine would be something like 1, 2, 3, 2, 3, delete, 1, 2, close file & go out, 2, 3, I hate this map, 2, 3, some crying in the corner, 3, 2, gnashing of teeth, 3, 4, hallelujah, I'm finished! I never want to see this *&@%ing map again...
    Haha, maybe i said it wrong. The process i mentioned is something i would like to follow all the time, but i dont. With every new document i promise myself that i will keep my layers clean a tidy. Sometime from half done map i started to make a mess, and in the end i never know which layer is for what
    Btw. ChickPea, can you explain me again WIP tag scrapper? I want to place picture in first post with 2 bookmarks for scrapper, but scrapper grabs either first bookmark or second, though they are not tagged with WIP.
    Last edited by Voolf; 04-27-2017 at 10:05 PM.

Guild Master Facebook Connected - JO -'s Avatar

It's a very nice idea that you got there ... for both bookmarks ! Real bookmarks that make you want to read ... and the text is in perfect match with the drawing, which is masterfully executed! Congratulations !

Quote Originally Posted by - JO - View Post
    It's a very nice idea that you got there ... for both bookmarks ! Real bookmarks that make you want to read ... and the text is in perfect match with the drawing, which is masterfully executed! Congratulations !
    Thank you JO. I wanted to do something more appealing than just a crop from map. Glad you like it.

Ok, i made one more o.O
    I thought this will be a non-lines drawing practice, but it's actually turn out quite nice and finished it quite fast (done it in 3H, at least for me it is fast ). When i was about to do the last touches my wife looked at it and said that she wants a crab there.... LOL so i drew one.

Unfortunately i was working with the file that that had my first bookmark there with trees. i deleted some layers and overwrite the file several times, so i lost even backup files of the first bookmark. Well i can live with it, it is not a big map.

I think this is last one (for this bookmark project). I upload 3 of them in one picture so scrapper can grab it properly.

### Latest WIP ###

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bookmark_all_resize.jpeg 
Views:	95 
Size:	534.7 KB 
ID:	95167
    Last edited by Voolf; 04-28-2017 at 03:54 AM.

Your bookmarks are really amazing Voolf! They are all very appealing and different. Great work!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast