Thread: My custom HeroQuest gameboard

Guild Apprentice Facebook Connected

Default My custom HeroQuest gameboard

Ever since I managed to buy a copy of the (long out of print) game HeroQuest, which I had as a teen but sold off at one point, I've been wanting to make my own board. While I like the original for nostalgia's sake, I always felt the walls should have some thickness to them. Also, a lot of people on the net have widened the corridors, so I did that as well.

Anyway, here's my attempt at this classic boardgame, made 100% from scratch using a combination of AI and PS. My original file is large enough to be printed at scale (1sq = 1")

I was going for a more realistic look which I hope you guys like.
    C&C welcome.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Yeah, Hero Quest! Looking really great Olvyr, very nicely textured. With the walls that thick, i think there is no other option than making the corridors longer, but it shouldn't be a big deal for the gameplay? One little nitpick would be that the darker shadows in the rooms give the impression of a lower floor level than in the corridors, looking a bit like pits (hope you get what i mean, not sure how to say it correctly in english... ).
    Wish you a good time playing on it!
    Map is not territory...
    Current work in progress:Korobrom | My finished maps
    My DeviantArt site and Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by Abu Lafia View Post
    Yeah, Hero Quest! Looking really great Olvyr, very nicely textured. With the walls that thick, i think there is no other option than making the corridors longer, but it shouldn't be a big deal for the gameplay? One little nitpick would be that the darker shadows in the rooms give the impression of a lower floor level than in the corridors, looking a bit like pits (hope you get what i mean, not sure how to say it correctly in english... ).
    Wish you a good time playing on it!
    Thanks!
    I know what you mean (though I don't necessarily agree) but I think this is due to the fact that the tiles in the rooms are generally darker and less saturated (I wanted to imply a different material than the tiles of the corridors) and the shadows are more confined to the size of the rooms (as opposed to the longer corridors) and thus *appear* darker.
    If I remember correctly, they are the same.

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Looking great - I would have liked to zoom in though to see the details better ... Have you thought about doing something extra to it, like adding torches to the walls, perhaps a crack to a tile here and there or a small puddle or some rubble and such? ... never played the game so I don't know if that will ruin it, but I thought it would be neat for added ambiance
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

Quote Originally Posted by tilt View Post
    Looking great - I would have liked to zoom in though to see the details better ... Have you thought about doing something extra to it, like adding torches to the walls, perhaps a crack to a tile here and there or a small puddle or some rubble and such? ... never played the game so I don't know if that will ruin it, but I thought it would be neat for added ambiance
    Yeah, I've thought about that. Torches, not so much. Puddles or rubble, yes, but I haven't found any great brushes for rubble yet. And I'm not particularly keen on painting each pebble by hand.

Here's the link to my dropbox for the full res file
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/jhnyw8cdva...ngeon.png?dl=0

Last edited by Olvyr; 04-27-2017 at 07:15 AM. Reason: 6