Thread: Fractal Terrains 3 to Wilbur export problems

Guild Applicant

Help Fractal Terrains 3 to Wilbur export problems

I've been following the Israh tutorial to see if I could make a world I would be happy with.
    However I'm experiencing a problem when I'm trying to export my FT3 world into Wilbur, after I've done the first round of erosion.

I've only tried the 'Tutorial for Cartographer’s Guild', otherwise I don't have any experience with FT3 or Wilbur.

My worlds resolution is 4096 and I'm saving it as a special mdr file with a width of 4096.

But when I first opened it in Wilbur, I only got a map of the land and sea, with no heightmap on it:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Wilburwithoutheightmap.PNG 
Views:	33 
Size:	327.9 KB 
ID:	95373

Compared to the map in FT3:

Name:	FT3world.png 
Views:	50 
Size:	3.26 MB 
ID:	95375

I figured there might have been an error in the FT3 save I had, so I tried to make a random map, without editing it, and export that.
    But when I save it as a special mdr file, it isn't saved as an mdr file but just a 'file'.
    And if I try to open it in Wilbur, I get this error message:

Name:	errorcode.PNG 
Views:	27 
Size:	4.1 KB 
ID:	95374

If anyone knows what causes these two problems and/or how to fix it, I would be very happy to know it! *

An error crept into the interpretation of the MDR file format between Wilbur and FT3, resulting in the vertical flip that you see. Flip the map vertically in Wilbur using Surface>>Rotate>>Flip Vertically.

The height issues may be related to the world altitudes in FT, especially if you have an altitude sample or two that are extreme. If you know what the altitude range is supposed to be for the MDR file, use Wilbur's Filter>>Height Clip feature to force everything in the world to be between your desired low and high values (typically -10000 to +10000 for FT exports). You should be able to move your mouse over the land areas in Wilbur to get an idea of the heights. You can also use Window>>Histogram to get a direct count of the altitude values, which will give you an idea of you have extreme values and the approximate range of "normal" values.

Wilbur wants the file to have an MDR extension and you need to select the "MDR" file type in Wilbur's File Open dialog. If you didn't specify the extension in FT, then you'll need to rename the file in explorer for best results.

Guild Applicant

Thanks for the fast response Waldronate!
    I really appreciate it!

And even better, the solutions fixes the problems.

Thanks again!