Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: (WIP) Arch City of Nessa'Mor

I'm very flattered that you find my maps an inspiration, XCali - thank you

As to the side map issue - I'm not really sure I know what you mean. I've not heard the term 'side map' before. Are you thinking of doing an inset map to show the hidden detail of the inner city, a separate map of some kind, or something else?

Earlier you were talking about blending the bottom of the cliff more into the sand. I think you have already managed to do this quite successfully just to the left of the entrance to the Inner City, where the bottom of the cliff is more or less the same colour as the sand. Along the rest of its length the foot of the cliff is quite a lot lighter than the sand, but I'm not really sure that either way could be considered 'wrong' at all.

Guild Expert Facebook Connected XCali's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    I'm very flattered that you find my maps an inspiration, XCali - thank you

As to the side map issue - I'm not really sure I know what you mean. I've not heard the term 'side map' before. Are you thinking of doing an inset map to show the hidden detail of the inner city, a separate map of some kind, or something else?

Earlier you were talking about blending the bottom of the cliff more into the sand. I think you have already managed to do this quite successfully just to the left of the entrance to the Inner City, where the bottom of the cliff is more or less the same colour as the sand. Along the rest of its length the foot of the cliff is quite a lot lighter than the sand, but I'm not really sure that either way could be considered 'wrong' at all.

Hehe, sorry. I was a bit unclear. It is indeed a second map. BUT the reason I asked all those things were, if it is possible to do it that way. Or do I just need to make it a city map for the inner city from scratch and a different angle?

Cool beans, I'll check where you said the blending was working. Thanks Mouse!

~ Maps-DriveThruRPG ~Free Maps and Assets ~Current Project~

My web novels
    Instagram handle: instagram.com/omrihope
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ~The heavens declare the glory of God;
    the skies proclaim the work of His hands.
    Day after day they pour forth speech;
    night after night they reveal knowledge.
    ~ Psalm 19

If its a map of something that can't be seen on the first one (ie the hidden part of the city), then yes - probably best to do it as a separate map. Inset maps are usually an enlargement or different angle on something you can see in the main map.

Alternatively you could do a plan view map (from directly above and not showing the arch) of the entire city - showing the part that's inside the cliff like a dungeon map of a cave, with the rock of the cliff filling in around the space where the city is.

If its a map of something that can't be seen on the first one (ie the hidden part of the city), then yes - probably best to do it as a separate map. Inset maps are usually an enlargement or different angle on something you can see in the main map.

Alternatively you could do a plan view map (from directly above and not showing the arch) of the entire city - showing the part that's inside the cliff like a dungeon map of a cave, with the rock of the cliff filling in around the space where the city is.
    I like that idea a lot.
    So brainstorming. Maybe I'd do it ISO again but with the camera angle from the ARCH itself, then with your idea.

My web novels
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ~ Psalm 19

It might be easier to try a quick top down map first, even if its just a quick sketch, then translate that into ISO if you prefer it. Its easier to work out where things go in top down.

Discuss Nessa'Mor Memorial

Hi, everyone.

I decided to draw a statue for the city. And also added small changes like the surf around the jetty's posts and tried an eraser on the cliff edge to see if that helps. I'm still thinking about how to go about the text, but I didn't change it today.

Okay, so I was thinking. This is an idea. The statue is a type of memorial in honour of a great Heroine. But, it was there way before the city came to be. It is still largely a mystery as most of the stuff written on it is still un-transelated except for the bit that was engraved in a known language.

Let me know what you think, about how it looks and the story bit.

Have a wonderful day,

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Nessa'Mor Memorial_byOmriHope.jpeg 
Views:	85 
Size:	2.11 MB 
ID:	96353
    Last edited by XCali; 06-07-2017 at 09:25 AM.

My web novels
    ~ Psalm 19

Cliffs are looking better without the fringe on them, certainly. I hadn't noticed it before, but I do now that I can compare the before and after maps

I can't really comment on the story, you need a professional to do that or you might end up with some bad advice and waste several years of hard work going off on the wrong tack!

All I can say is that from the point of view of an amateur reader it sounds fine to me

Cliffs are looking better without the fringe on them, certainly. I hadn't noticed it before, but I do now that I can compare the before and after maps

I can't really comment on the story, you need a professional to do that or you might end up with some bad advice and waste several years of hard work going off on the wrong tack!

All I can say is that from the point of view of an amateur reader it sounds fine to me
    Thanks, yeah I think the cliffs are better too.

As for the story, I'm gearing up to publish my first book, an entirely different story. So, I know as with a map, spending enough time with refining story can make it much better. BUT with this map, it is more about adventure hooks and mystery. I'm tackling this map with tabletop RPG's in mind. So, in a way, the story does not need an intense focus. But enough to make great adventure hooks.
    Then the question is actually more in the line of, does it intrigue you enough, that you might want to find out.

My web novels
    ~ Psalm 19

Well its certainly designed as a hook, and I would probably read on to at least the end of the first chapter, though I would expect there to be something else going on besides the mystery of the statue. I listen to a lot of fantasy audiobooks as I map, and they are all very different. The ones I like best, however, focus on the characters and their development, like GoT for example, and contain these kinds of hooks all over the place, but they are generally in the background and not the be-all and end-all - they are never the only reason for telling the story.

And that's about as useful as I can be - sorry!

Discuss

Well its certainly designed as a hook, and I would probably read on to at least the end of the first chapter, though I would expect there to be something else going on besides the mystery of the statue. I listen to a lot of fantasy audiobooks as I map, and they are all very different. The ones I like best, however, focus on the characters and their development, like GoT for example, and contain these kinds of hooks all over the place, but they are generally in the background and not the be-all and end-all - they are never the only reason for telling the story.

And that's about as useful as I can be - sorry!
    I wholly agree that characters and their development are extremely important to Novels and roleplaying maps. Thus why I would create an adventure hook regarding the mysterious memorial surrounding an ancient Heroine. And also for now, Zalia's plight, which I wrote about briefly.
    Regarding what hooks I'm also thinking about, are the caves and what secrets lay below the inner city.

(As I go I'll add more hooks, just so I'm clear. This is just asking if the hooks I bring out one for one are good enough to warrant exploration by player characters -for DnD and the like-. `For example, there is this cave here. It's off the beaten track, should we explore it? Or there is a far drop where the water disappears from the waterfal, if we take a rope down there we might find something.) Simple, but the start of a story for player characters.

But really thanks for discussing these things as I go.

My web novels
    ~ Psalm 19

Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 ... LastLast