Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: (WIP) Arch City of Nessa'Mor

If a shadow is good enough people don't notice it as a separate entity in its own right, so the fact that I completely missed it must mean that its certainly good enough for me

I don't think you really need to do too much more to the rocky coast.

As for the 'lack of detail' up top, I disagree with you there. If you look at other maps you will see that in most cases there are contrasting areas of detail and open expanse. Even an OS map is never completely covered all over with symbols (unless you are looking at a section of a large city, but even then there will be plazas and parkland). In designing something like this the open spaces are just as important as the dense city clusters of buildings

Guild Expert Facebook Connected XCali's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    If a shadow is good enough people don't notice it as a separate entity in its own right, so the fact that I completely missed it must mean that its certainly good enough for me

I don't think you really need to do too much more to the rocky coast.

As for the 'lack of detail' up top, I disagree with you there. If you look at other maps you will see that in most cases there are contrasting areas of detail and open expanse. Even an OS map is never completely covered all over with symbols (unless you are looking at a section of a large city, but even then there will be plazas and parkland). In designing something like this the open spaces are just as important as the dense city clusters of buildings
    Awesome to know. Thanks Mouse.

Hmmm, now that is definitely food for thought. Apart from the fort, which I wanted up top below the forest text, I do think you're right. I'll take it into account
    Last edited by XCali; 06-03-2017 at 04:36 PM.

Post Nessa'Mor Hidden stuff ... ... And fonts! ;)

Hellooo everyone! I hope you are all having a nice day.

Today, it is hidden changes! See if you can spot them all. And if you spot them, you can comment on them. Huhuhu.

Okay, then the not so hidden stuff, the fonts.
    I tried a few more. With Bookman Old style as my base, since it was the winner in the last round. Again 1-100 if you want.

1. Bookman Old style Bold (33p size)
    2. Cambria Bold
    3. Brittanic Bold
    4. Duralith Bold (33p size)
    4 -2. Duralith Bold (40p size)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Nessa'Mor_HiddenStuff_Fonts_ByOmriHope.jpeg 
Views:	19 
Size:	2.12 MB 
ID:	96262

~ Maps-DriveThruRPG ~Free Maps and Assets ~Current Project~

My web novels
    Instagram handle: instagram.com/omrihope
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ~The heavens declare the glory of God;
    the skies proclaim the work of His hands.
    Day after day they pour forth speech;
    night after night they reveal knowledge.
    ~ Psalm 19

Hey XCali

I see you've been busy again!

I had to get both this version and the last one up to see what you meant by hidden changes, and I note that you have added some shading at the base of the cliff on the sand. I'm not entirely sure I understand the reasoning behind that move, since in most cases there isn't really much of a line as such at the bottom of a cliff. If the face is lit then the ground at the base is usually also lit - sometimes brighter than the cliff depending on where the sun is in relation to the face. If the face is in shadow, then the chances are the land at the base is also in shadow to the same extent and for some way out until the entire shadow of the cliff is revealed. Your cliffs being as tall as they are, that shadow would likely cover the entire bottom of the map, which I'm sure you wouldn't want to show - the area beneath the cliff being the key point of interest I think, and not something you would want to shade too much.

Cliff shading and shadows aside, The jury is out on the font. I'm not really all that keen on any of them, though I will say that the top one of the lot is oddly enough the clearest one when viewing the map at the smaller size before enlarging it to inspect the detail.

Hey XCali

I see you've been busy again!

I had to get both this version and the last one up to see what you meant by hidden changes, and I note that you have added some shading at the base of the cliff on the sand. I'm not entirely sure I understand the reasoning behind that move, since in most cases there isn't really much of a line as such at the bottom of a cliff. If the face is lit then the ground at the base is usually also lit - sometimes brighter than the cliff depending on where the sun is in relation to the face. If the face is in shadow, then the chances are the land at the base is also in shadow to the same extent and for some way out until the entire shadow of the cliff is revealed. Your cliffs being as tall as they are, that shadow would likely cover the entire bottom of the map, which I'm sure you wouldn't want to show - the area beneath the cliff being the key point of interest I think, and not something you would want to shade too much.

Cliff shading and shadows aside, The jury is out on the font. I'm not really all that keen on any of them, though I will say that the top one of the lot is oddly enough the clearest one when viewing the map at the smaller size before enlarging it to inspect the detail.
    That's fair. The 'shadow' at the bottom was actually a start to try and fade the cliff into the ground. It was a cut out. But I agree That I should tone it down a bit.
    As for the fonts. It seems I have bad taste in fonts. But thanks anyway.

Now on to the other hidden stuff. There is a cave added. Waves in the distance. A little different textures on the grass up top and yet another cave.

Have a nice day!
    Last edited by XCali; 06-04-2017 at 07:23 AM.

My web novels
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ~ Psalm 19

Don't get too hung up on the font, XCali - It's important, but not important enough to ruin your enjoyment of your own map

And I never saw the caves, but then it was quite late last night when I looked at them

Don't get too hung up on the font, XCali - It's important, but not important enough to ruin your enjoyment of your own map

And I never saw the caves, but then it was quite late last night when I looked at them
    Yeah, I know. Hehe It's just that I truly enjoy your maps. So your opinion carries real weight. The fonts conundrum is a challenge, one that I want to overcome. But with your feedback, it helps to get closer to the solution. So, thank you.

(Hehe, I did say there was hidden stuff! )

My web novels
    ~ Psalm 19

I am only about average here at the Guild. You just see more of me around because I don't have any dependents to run around for, and I enjoy trying to help people when I have the time

Also remember that my prestigious title is only a result of the fact that I do talk - a LOT! It has no bearing on my ability as a cartographer

I think you might learn a lot more a lot faster if you were to browse through the finished maps forum now and then and start talking with lots of other people as well as me, about how they do the things you like in their maps. That's how I learned a lot of what I do. You will find that people here are very friendly and most will oblige with at least a short explanation, and maybe a hyperlink or two to useful tutorials or examples if you catch them with a few minutes to spare

I am only about average here at the Guild. You just see more of me around because I don't have any dependents to run around for, and I enjoy trying to help people when I have the time

Also remember that my prestigious title is only a result of the fact that I do talk - a LOT! It has no bearing on my ability as a cartographer

I think you might learn a lot more a lot faster if you were to browse through the finished maps forum now and then and start talking with lots of other people as well as me, about how they do the things you like in their maps. That's how I learned a lot of what I do. You will find that people here are very friendly and most will oblige with at least a short explanation, and maybe a hyperlink or two to useful tutorials or examples if you catch them with a few minutes to spare
    Hehe, Sue, I said I enjoyed your maps. Not I enjoyed your title. Your words carry weight because I think you make great maps.

And true enough, some of the maps I've come across on this site are extraordinary, but still, I felt awe seeing some your works. True words here. No sugar coating.
    Indeed I learned a lot from other people's maps too so far. Learned how to do my waves from someone else. BUT it does not and I mean, NOT, take away from how much I learned from your feedback so far. You are a good teacher. So thank you.

My web novels
    ~ Psalm 19

Help Raw experiment

I need advice, please.
    So, I was thinking. Is it possible to make a SIDE map this way?(EDIT: A second map.) I dabbled in something APART from my main map. This, if it is indeed a possible thing, will only be on a second map aside from my main Nessa'Mor map. To be clear.

So, is it possible? And what would be necessary to make it believable. I don't see me deciding this alone, easily.

Most of it is just messing about, I copied the buildings from the main map, just to get an idea. It's more about the CONCEPT than anything else.

Name:	EXPERIMENT_Nessa'Mor_InnerCity1_ByOmriHope.jpeg 
Views:	15 
Size:	2.13 MB 
ID:	96281

For my main map, I only really removed the shadow line for today.
    But here it is, if you want to see.

Name:	MAIN_map_Nessa'Mor_byOmriHope.jpeg 
Views:	17 
Size:	2.14 MB 
ID:	96282
    Last edited by XCali; 06-05-2017 at 04:57 AM.

My web novels
    ~ Psalm 19

Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast