Thread: Otherworld Map (Planet: Krenek’eiat)

Guild Novice

Map Otherworld Map (Planet: Krenek’eiat)

General critique is welcomed, but I have a specific question. The inhabitants of this planet are basically human and is set in the equivalent of ~500BCE, is it reasonable to assume the they have reached most of the world and developed countries this far across the world?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	World2.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	219.5 KB 
ID:	95414

It's probably a reasonable assumption. One big caveat there, of course, is that humans never had to cross more than 40 or so miles of open water to populate Earth. It looks like you have a few hundred miles of open water in several places there. The technology required for semi-regular inter-continental travel might be beyond what they're capable of as it would require some fairly large ships and possibly a solid propulsion system of some sort like sails or giant sea turtles.

On the plus side, you could get some spectacular founder effects on some of the more isolated islands. A tiny group with a recessive mutation (like, say, peeing fire) could have that recessive mutation become very common in the island population. Quite the surprise for later explorers.

Developing countries is largely a matter of personal preference (somebody has to say "I'm in charge: do what I say or else") and population density (if somebody says "I'm in charge: do what I say or else" and "or else" is a quick move to the empty valley next door, then countries probably won't get too large).

Guild Novice

Ah, that is a good point. A friend of mine is currently simulating ocean currents for this map, maybe poseidon will be kind and make some currents help them from one continent to the other. I'm definitely using your idea about the recessive genes proliferating in the islands, that's some juicy plot right there. Thanks so much

Guild Master Facebook Connected - JO -'s Avatar

I like the ideas you found for the language! It gives names very alive and that sound nice.
    Now if you want to remain coherent, you have a choice: either a civilization has conquered all the continents and imposed its language, or several civilizations cohabit or struggle among themselves, and in this case, you might have to invent an other languages ​​?

Guild Novice

Yeah, I don't feel as though they're even close to a point where one ruling body could have control of the entire world. The eastern continent was where this species originated and stayed for a long time so the languages are quite similar, but I plan to make the western countries' languages more diverse and foreign

I don't have much time, so I'll leave the general critique for people more artsy than me, but since I am into this weird hobby of conworlds, with solid reality bases, I'll reply ro your specific question:

First of, I'm assuming a planet with a size comparable to Earth and comparable history processes up to 500 BCE.
    In this case, ocean going travels are impossible. You will not have contact between the main continents and even some coastal stretches will be hazardous and not suitable for traveling often (which trade and diplomacy imply).
    Also, a global language is utterly impossible. Languages diverge all the time (and pretty quick) due to lack of persistent interaction between people. Bronze age and iron age people did not travel much, and didn't have mass media. Have a look at this map showing the mediterranean in aprox 250 BCE:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MediterraneanIn264BC.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	117.8 KB 
ID:	95516
    Those polities cover a lot of different people speaking many languages, and that's despite the regular trade within the mediterranean.

Bottom line, if you are aiming at an iron age setting, a whole-world map is a huge endeavour...