Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sorta antique style bookmark

Default Sorta antique style bookmark

I bought a calendar at Christmas time of Antique maps. It was just a cheapo thing from one of those shops that magically appear in the run-up to Christmas and it's quite nice. A couple of months back, it had a map that I really, really liked and I vowed to make one in that style.

I haven't started the full map yet, so this bookmark is more of a practice run. I never print anything at home, and I suspect my labels are probably too small, but... I'm practising! I decided to do a greyscale version too, and I might try printing it on our bog-standard office laser printer. The place names came from my fav Elizabethan place name generator.

### Latest WIP ###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bookmark.png 
Views:	146 
Size:	1.90 MB 
ID:	95415
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

Thought I might share a photo of the original calendar pic too. Just a phone pic so not the greatest quality.

Name:	IMG_20170306_191216.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	1.97 MB 
ID:	95416

Love that

I have seen this map style long time ago, nice idea to make a bookmark like this. Good job.

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Very nice style and yes.. books are better
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

Guild Expert Guild Supporter Greg's Avatar

I was just thinking of doing an old atlas style bookmark myself to join in the fray. Should be a bit different style to yours those ChickPea and I like where you're going already with these practice ones.

That's a great idea - and well made

Thanks for sharing it, ChickPea

Thanks guys! Glad you like them.

I couldn't resist trying to print them out on our office printer. The coloured one looked like crap (might look better on an actual colour printer) but the black & white one wasn't too awful. Labels are legible if you peer at them, but realistically they're too small. My rhumb lines almost disappeared too. Ah the joys of print vs digital!

I took a photo just for fun.

Name:	IMG_20170505_141038.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	985.6 KB 
ID:	95423

The resolution of B/W printers is never as great as the resolution of colour ones. (I think I remember a copier maintenance man telling me once that its only about half or even less).

You will probably be able to read it all just fine if you print both of them on a colour printer

I don't have a colour printer at home. I said to myself that when I got good at mapmaking, I'd buy one. Needless to say, I'm still waiting....

I can see the dot pattern where the printer approximates shading on the ones I printed out, and you're right that it's pretty poor resolution. (I did set 300 dpi in the settings.) Doesn't really matter though, it was only for myself for fun and I'm actually not entirely unhappy with the way it turned out, crappy resolution or not. It's printed on card and I can definitely use it without feeling embarrassed haha!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast