View Poll Results: Want to map the hanging gardens of Babylon?

Voters
6. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

6 100.00%
  • No

0 0%

Thread: Map the Hanging Gardens of Babylon

Default Map the Hanging Gardens of Babylon

Map the hanging gardens of Babylon (not the whole city - just the gardens)

The basic background for the idea and possibly quite a lot of suggestion about what this really looked like can be found here.

Top down, or ISO (the latter of which might be easier to do, given that a substantial artificial mountain might seem to be involved)

Imagination requied for this one. There is general concept of how it was build... still everyone can depict it quite differently. It's a nice idea.

Oops! I've accidentally made the vote public, and I can't make it private now!

Never mind - its not like this is an election or anything

I will be making a city map for the Profantasy Community Atlas project over at the Profantasy Forum which will have a hanging garden built into it. It was while I was researching the possibilities and potential historical background for the legend of the Hanging Gardens of Babylon that I came across the Wiki page. I am certain there are many more ideas out there about just what they looked like. Some historians think that since Babylon is actually a generic name meaning something like 'Gate of the Gods', many cities of the time where called Babylon, and that the hanging Gardens at Nineveh (which are documented fact) are the actual root of the legend.

Having made the CC3 symbols and fills I will need for the Babylonian City of Sanctuary over at PF, it would be a shame not to use them more than just the once

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Hmmm... could be fun, question is if its to narrow? .. perhaps map any of the wonders? ... or any garden .. ah.. the latter probably getting to mundane. Then again, sometimes it is fun to see different persons different take on the task at hand
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

I'm hoping there is sufficient scope and interest. There's plenty of conflicting accounts of just what it looked like - even down to how the water was delivered to the top level. I favour the canal theory, while some historians prefer the idea of the water being raised by Archimedes screw from a lower level. Either way that would make for two very different designs.

We could make the idea a bit wider by including any of the original seven wonders of the world, but wider than that would be getting a bit close to some of the other challenge ideas - Map a Legend being one of them.

I've always been fascinated by the Hanging Gardens. I'd be up for this challenge, and definitely think that it's not too narrow. However, if everyone just maps a terraced pyramid with plants, then it might be a little dull. Maybe people could be encouraged to 'reinvent' the Hanging Gardens: that might make it more exciting. Perhaps there'll even be literally hanging gardens...

On a side note, I also really like the idea of mapping a garden: there's so much potential with this: a botanical garden, a wizard's herbarium, imperial gardens, etc. Could be fun... Maybe I'll make a suggestion thread for mapping a garden.

THW

Formerly TheHoarseWhisperer

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

I like THW's idea of re-inventing the Gardens. Hmmm....