Completely free to use, commercial or otherwise.

So, this was the pine tree asset I made a few months ago for my one continent map.

Okay, you can add them just like this to the map, but it will feel a bit uniform after a while. After you placed your forests, to offset the effect of being too uniform, select the trees(Alpha to select on GIMP) then create a layer above your trees. We are going to use a very dark color. There are two ways I could go about this. 1. Have the layer on lower opacity and the brush on full opacity OR 2. Have the layer on full opacity and use a soft brush on low opacity.
Then paint in patches of shadow on top of trees. (Remember, not all trees are the same length.) So, this gives a wavey effect on the forest to break the sameness of some of the trees.
NEXT, on the tree layer, use the dodge tool on less than half opacity and with a soft brush selected, go about adding some highlight to taller trees where you didn't add too much shadow on the previous step. (Be careful with the dodge tool, it can become too much if you are not careful.)

Try them and see if it works for you. I always do a ton of small things while I'm busy mapping, but those steps are generally in the direction I was thinking when I did the forests.

Name:  Pine_Tree_2021_Preview_1b.png
Views: 364
Size:  3.7 KB
Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pine_Forests_2021_Preview_1.png 
Views:	25 
Size:	41.3 KB 
ID:	128975

I took some time to add a few color themes to them.
Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pine_Forests_2021.png 
Views:	27 
Size:	325.6 KB 
ID:	128976

Enjoy!