Thread: It's a-me

Default It's a-me

Hi folks,

New guy Tyvent here.

I'm a shrimp farmer of all things by profession. Buy local!! Well, it's not possible to buy local everywhere in the United States right now, but shrimp farms are popping up faster and faster, even though shrimpin' ain't easy. Heh . . .

Anyway, I'm both a maps enthusiast and a pen-and-paper gamer. I've been slowly pulling together material to run an Ars Magica chronicle, and I'm at the point where I just gotta make a fantasy map of the setting. The problems involved have led me here. Specifically, I'd like the map to look better than ball-point pen on computer paper. I'm thinking, since the setting's geography is essentially western Switzerland, that I'd grab a digital relief map of the area, get rid of all the modern place names and roads, "filter" the image to give it more fantasy character, and finally fill in the important locales. Normally, I'm extremely handy with computers, but I have terrible trouble with anything involving graphics. I figured it's about time I asked for some help, and I'll be doing that in the main forums.

Cheers!

That's an interesting business. I can't buy local shrimp cause they canceled the season here.
    May I ask what region you live and farm in?

Quote Originally Posted by Pananacakes View Post
    That's an interesting business. I can't buy local shrimp cause they canceled the season here.
    May I ask what region you live and farm in?
    Massachusetts, though we grow vannamei rather than the northern shrimp (I don't believe anyone's attempting norther shrimp commercially yet. Low water temperature and slow shrimp growth would be big challenges to meet).

You must be doing it indoors then? Either that or you're slowly turning Buzzards Bay into a hot tub.

I'm from Mass originally so if I see farm raised Massachusetts shrimp for sale here I'll consider that "local buying." Maine never should have separated from Massachusetts anyway.
    Last edited by Pananacakes; 05-30-2017 at 04:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pananacakes View Post
    You must be doing it indoors then? Either that or you're slowly turning Buzzards Bay into a hot tub.

I'm from Mass originally so if I see farm raised Massachusetts shrimp for sale here I'll consider that "local buying." Maine never should have separated from Massachusetts anyway.
    Yep, we're indoors.

Just think of all that could have happened had Maine not separated. Earlier Civil War. Union might have lost the Civil War. No Paul LePage . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Tyvent View Post
    ...No Paul LePage . . .
    There's a map challenge for someone: "Draw a Maine without Paul LePage."

I'd draw something like Shangri-La, a place where no-one ever heard of mean old men.

Actually an interesting real one might be to draw a map of North America where there was an earlier civil war that the Union lost, like you said.

Hi. nice to meet you.

Why not draw a map of the ideal shrimp farm world/colony as a start!