Thread: Trio of Commissions

Professional Artist Guild Supporter Wired's Avatar

Map Trio of Commissions

Recently I was commissioned by author Diane Rose Wilson to create trio of maps for an upcoming novel of hers.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lyni Islands Map.jpg 
Views:	230 
Size:	1.13 MB 
ID:	96141
    This is the first one I did for her. It was primarily intended to be shown online on her own website.

Name:	BW World Map.jpg 
Views:	176 
Size:	613.8 KB 
ID:	96140
    This one shows the whole world and is intended for the print version of the novel, hence the greatly reduced level of detail.

Name:	The Spirit Lands, Colored World Map, Upload.jpg 
Views:	251 
Size:	1.88 MB 
ID:	96142
    The third and final map for author Diane Rose Wilson. Like the 2nd map, this one shows the whole world, but unlike the 2nd map it's actually large enough to show details. The original is an A1 size image.

Great job Wired. The colour map is very well done.

I agree with Voolf, though I think my favourite is possibly the first map, where the detail of the drawing is slightly larger than the second.

Very nicely done - congratulations on the commission

Professional Artist Guild Supporter Wired's Avatar

Personally, I liked the first one the most myself as it allows the decent depiction of some terrain. The second one, actually, was really hard because the landmasses are so small that I had to really condense everything. I liked working with the client, but if I could wish for one thing for my next commission it'd be "(one) large(r) landmass(es)".

Excellent job, Wired. It's a very nice set of maps. Like you, I have a preference for the first one.

Lovely work. The colour version is beautiful and I think I have a slight preference for the black & white version of the world map. I can see how it would have been tricky to fit everything into limited space, but you've made a great job of it.
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

I'm late to the party but let me say the maps are gorgeous ! And kudos for removing some parts of the linework. I'd say the dunes still need some work but they do look good.