Thread: Need map help (obviously, or I wouldn't be here)

Post Need map help (obviously, or I wouldn't be here)

So, I'm in the beginning stages of writing a book. I'm setting background, discovering history, extrapolating on culture, that sort of thing. Including making a map. ....Actually, I was working on the map for something else entirely but abandoned that and decided that I could use it for this instead. So I have an outline of a map and a general idea of where things go, geography-wise, but ... I suck at art. The map I do have is rather crude compared to refined images I find posted ... pretty much everywhere. So what I'm looking for is either a free mapping tool that can take an existing image and build off of it so I can do the work myself, or someone who would do the work for me. TBH, I would rather do the work myself, but the one link I can find where I can upload my own image to improve upon comes back as "Server Unavailable". So if anyone has any suggestions, that would be great.

Are you saying that when you try to show your image in a forum post here at cartographersguild.com, it fails with a "Server Unavailable" message?

Quote Originally Posted by Pananacakes View Post
    Are you saying that when you try to show your image in a forum post here at cartographersguild.com, it fails with a "Server Unavailable" message?
    Yes. The Dungeonforge one on the Map Generators thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Pananacakes View Post
    ...Ah.... misread that the first time. No, it's a link available on the Mapping Software thread, every time I click on it the link comes up as Server Not Found. I assume its just a broken link or a disabled website, but its the only one I've been able to find that will let me upload my own image into the program to use as a base.