Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Battlemap! - Valley of Ancient bones (WIP)

Guild Apprentice Facebook Connected flyenemu's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by XCali View Post
    Thank you. That is very helpful info. I'll be sure to check it out. The thing I would need to figure out, is how to still convey the night feel without it being too dark.
    XCali,

So very glad I could help! Conveying darkness of any kind (night, caves, smoke, etc.) can prove rather challenging for battle maps. When ambiance is important, I try to have my game room do the emersion for me (candles, background audio, handouts, etc.), because I prefer my maps be easer to read. This obviously doesn't help much with your situation, but I have faith you will find that happy medium between mood and functionality. I wish you the best on your work, and look forward to future updates!

Guild Expert Facebook Connected XCali's Avatar

Question

Quote Originally Posted by flyenemu View Post
    XCali,

So very glad I could help! Conveying darkness of any kind (night, caves, smoke, etc.) can prove rather challenging for battle maps. When ambiance is important, I try to have my game room do the emersion for me (candles, background audio, handouts, etc.), because I prefer my maps be easer to read. This obviously doesn't help much with your situation, but I have faith you will find that happy medium between mood and functionality. I wish you the best on your work, and look forward to future updates!
    Thanks! I'll take that into account.

Reminds me, I made several updates on the previous page. I'd like to know what you think. I tried a dusk version and it can go even lighter than that.

Have a nice day

~ Maps-DriveThruRPG ~Free Maps and Assets ~Current Project~

My web novels
    Instagram handle: instagram.com/omrihope
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ~The heavens declare the glory of God;
    the skies proclaim the work of His hands.
    Day after day they pour forth speech;
    night after night they reveal knowledge.
    ~ Psalm 19

Thanks! I'll take that into account.

Reminds me, I made several updates on the previous page. I'd like to know what you think. I tried a dusk version and it can go even lighter than that.

Have a nice day
    XCali,

I have reviewed your 'dusk' version, and must say I find it much easer to read than the original. It also seems as if the grid size has also increased a bit from your previous version. Though this may help increase the visibility of the grid, it in turn shrinks the scaling of your map. This change give me the impression that the cliffs are smaller and shorter than previously indicated in the original map. I found the light blue map to be the best rendition thus far, and the extra light might be explained by a full moon.
    The more I review your maps I am reminded of past sessions, and how I (as well as other GMs) tackled the problem of elevation. Sadly, I am unable to think of any good way combat was tracked on a grid due to the limitations of 2 axis. Things can get even more crazy when you have a battle field like yours where some characters fly, others burrow, and the rest have only a land speed (not to mention when ethereal, shadow, or fey planes are involved). Have you considered using different shading to help identify changes in elevation (psudo-topographical)? This may be a way to keep the detailed map you created, while offering color to help represent another axis. Another idea might be to use a hex grid rather than square. I find hex to be much easer to work with for 'surface' play or caves, while castles and dungeons are better with square grids.
    I am uncertain of the values of my post toward your end goal; however, I am excited to see how your work continues to change and improve, and will be sure to review some of my previous maps to see what help they can offer.
    An error has occurred while loading "Witty and/or Inspirational D&D Quote" and must close. Please try again later.

*(As Soon As I Finish Working On My Truck I Shall Begin Working On A Map Of My Own To Share)*

Quote Originally Posted by flyenemu View Post
    XCali,

I have reviewed your 'dusk' version, and must say I find it much easer to read than the original. It also seems as if the grid size has also increased a bit from your previous version. Though this may help increase the visibility of the grid, it in turn shrinks the scaling of your map. This change give me the impression that the cliffs are smaller and shorter than previously indicated in the original map. I found the light blue map to be the best rendition thus far, and the extra light might be explained by a full moon.
    The more I review your maps I am reminded of past sessions, and how I (as well as other GMs) tackled the problem of elevation. Sadly, I am unable to think of any good way combat was tracked on a grid due to the limitations of 2 axis. Things can get even more crazy when you have a battle field like yours where some characters fly, others burrow, and the rest have only a land speed (not to mention when ethereal, shadow, or fey planes are involved). Have you considered using different shading to help identify changes in elevation (psudo-topographical)? This may be a way to keep the detailed map you created, while offering color to help represent another axis. Another idea might be to use a hex grid rather than square. I find hex to be much easer to work with for 'surface' play or caves, while castles and dungeons are better with square grids.
    I am uncertain of the values of my post toward your end goal; however, I am excited to see how your work continues to change and improve, and will be sure to review some of my previous maps to see what help they can offer.
    Thank you.
    That is solid feedback. And I appreciate you taking the time.

Regarding the grid, I tried the square and bigger one out for size, I do think the first grid size is better for representing the size of the map.
    I think in the end I'll have a main version that is shipped with multiple different versions that has variations of grid size, grid type, without grid, different times of day. Then the DM/GM's can have their choice in how they want to play it.
    As you noted reusability before. I want that as a focal point. And an ISO map that is easy to setup and play.

Yeah the shading is an important point, thanks. I wanted to finish the layout of the core maps first and then I'll start shading the map accordingly.

My web novels
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ~ Psalm 19

Nice! I like the red one.
    I wonder if you could try and make it look like earth.

I offer map commissions for RPG's, world-building, and books
    PORFOLIO | INSTAGRAM

Quote Originally Posted by Josiah VE View Post
    Nice! I like the red one.
    I wonder if you could try and make it look like earth.
    hehe, well I never really thought of them as outer-space. Though, it is a fantasy setting. It is a night version and dusk version so far. But, I can make a daylight version if people would like that.

My web novels
    ~ Psalm 19

hehe, well I never really thought of them as outer-space. Though, it is a fantasy setting. It is a night version and dusk version so far. But, I can make a daylight version if people would like that.
    Oh, whoops. The red one looks like mars to my eyes.

I offer map commissions for RPG's, world-building, and books
    PORFOLIO | INSTAGRAM

Thank you.
    That is solid feedback. And I appreciate you taking the time.

Regarding the grid, I tried the square and bigger one out for size, I do think the first grid size is better for representing the size of the map.
    I think in the end I'll have a main version that is shipped with multiple different versions that has variations of grid size, grid type, without grid, different times of day. Then the DM/GM's can have their choice in how they want to play it.
    As you noted reusability before. I want that as a focal point. And an ISO map that is easy to setup and play.

Yeah the shading is an important point, thanks. I wanted to finish the layout of the core maps first and then I'll start shading the map accordingly.
    XCali,

It is my pleasure to provide useful feedback, as I have yet to actually publish anything myself >,<. I love the idea of providing multiple options for DM/GM's to pick from; I have yet to meet a storyteller who has complained about having too many options! I shall continue following your work, and offer any input I may have.
    An error has occurred while loading "Witty and/or Inspirational D&D Quote" and must close. Please try again later.

*(As Soon As I Finish Working On My Truck I Shall Begin Working On A Map Of My Own To Share)*

Thanks. Feedback for any map is precious. Especially when it is an experimental map like this.

The next phase is probably shading.

But as of now, I am gearing up towards my Fish River Canyon hike next week.
    Last edited by XCali; 07-07-2018 at 10:05 AM.

My web novels
    ~ Psalm 19

Oh, Hi!

I was thinking about this battle map I did. This one was always free to use with friends. If some of you played on it and found it fun, let me know, because I have a few left in waiting with this same style.

My web novels
    ~ Psalm 19

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123