Thread: +700 North America

Map +700 North America

I decided to try my hand at actually finishing a map, so here it is.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	psmllvkmdn0z.png 
Views:	420 
Size:	2.88 MB 
ID:	96374
    (Reddit mirror)

It's a map of North American in my headworld, +700. Hopefully sometime I'd be able to move on to deal with the other regions of the world. I've forgone pixel-perfect satellite imagery or super-accurate clean cartography in favour of this polygonal stylisation, as many of these locations are rather common knowledge.
    Last edited by Kavaeric; 06-07-2017 at 11:46 PM.

This is a fine looking style Kavaeric. I like it.

Guild Apprentice Guild Sponsor The_Sleeping_Dragon's Avatar

I like it, especially the contouring and the names of the Alliances. Choice of colour made it easy to read but I assume you intend to colour each zone according to the scale on the right hand side ?

Just a couple of queries
    The map has been stretched east west. Not a problem until you come to Australia and Africa which both will be reduced in size compared to true size
    Just checking that 50000AE is a new dating system ie we are talking about 36500 years into the future?
    Best wishes

@Voolf Thanks! I'm hoping to make more of these sometime in the future.

@The_Sleeping_Dragon I understand the limitations of the equirectangular projection, however I think it's easy to work with both when actually mapping and when using it in, say, 3D modelling/textures. IT comes at the cost of distortion but most of these are real-world places that many are already familiar with. As for the years, it's an adaptation of the Anthropocene/Holocene calendar: 0E 000 is the year Terrans developed agriculture; The current year is 12E 017, and the current in-universe year is 12E 717. AAE stands for Ante-Anthropocene Era, i.e. before 0E 000, i.e. before the development of agriculture.

Professional Artist Guild Supporter Wired's Avatar

Really interesing stylem have some rep!

Excellent and very original! I love the clean and futuristic style you developped, and the flags are also fantastic.