Thread: (WIP) Un-named Town

Wip (WIP) Un-named Town

My first foray into city mapping was way back in the very first CWBP. I tried a village for one of the Light Challenges several months ago. While there was definite progression from one to the next, I still wasn't completely satisfied with any of them. To be fair, is an artist really ever satisfied with his own work? Anyway...

I haven't done anything here in quite some time, but I've had some ideas bouncing around in my head for some time so it seems prudent to get them down. So here I go again...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Town.JPG 
Views:	94 
Size:	135.8 KB 
ID:	96408

This is just a snip of what I've been working on. I know that it's kind of all over the place right now as I'm playing with styles and techniques, mostly following Torstan's most excellent tutorials over at fantasticmaps.com. The buildings, except for the two colored ones are just some paths that will later be stroked and filled. Or something. I'll fix the towers so that they won't be black blobs, and hopefully add some more terrain features inside the walls. The water effect is also just a placeholder for now, so I don't lose my way. Then I'll do some more trees, assuming I can settle on a style.

All in all it's moving along, but I've discovered over the years that maps can only ever get better after posting a work in progress here. So here it is! Thanks for listening to me ramble. Looking forward to the tough love.

-IG

I'm not awake properly this morning IG! What's a CWBP?

Great start

You have a really nice composition going with the shape of the land and the hills. Are those terrace cliffs I see?

I know you've only just started, so its really not fair of me to comment on particular things, but the ocean is just a tad on the blue side - unless you're going to make a semi-transparent sea?

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    I'm not awake properly this morning IG! What's a CWBP?

Great start

You have a really nice composition going with the shape of the land and the hills. Are those terrace cliffs I see?

I know you've only just started, so its really not fair of me to comment on particular things, but the ocean is just a tad on the blue side - unless you're going to make a semi-transparent sea?

Hi Mouse. I just woke up myself, so I know the feeling. Though if I have my time zones correct, you're about 8 (or so) hours ahead of me I think?

Yes, those are supposed to be some sort of cliffs. I don't think I'm finished with them, so who knows exactly how they'll turn out in the end. You're right, the water is way too blue right now, and I'll keep that in mind for when I finally get to it. I've really just got it all there to help keep me oriented while I work on the city proper, then I'll go back and give it some love. I thought about doing something transparent-ish with it, but I've also got a hand-drawn effect in mind too. Maybe I'll figure out a way to combine the two.

I do appreciate your comments. Always up for any advice you might have at these early stages.

Thanks again.

-IG

Well, good morning to you then

Technically 8 hours ahead of you, but with sleeping patterns all over the place thanks to general insomnia and two different sets of shift worker neighbours, I'm here at some extremely odd times

Like I said - a really nice start. Keep up the good work

And I just realized that I completely forgot to answer your CWBP question. That was our first Cooperative World Building Project. Fun times.