Quote Originally Posted by MoLAoS View Post
My question is specifically about navigable rivers. About how deep/wide generally would these rivers need to be? Is there any sort of river/heightmap algorithm that is commonly used that I can modify for map generation? Since the game uses a "province" system and not a hex or square system I don't need to get super fancy. If as noted in the post I want pretty expansive river networks compared to Earth is there anything special I can do with the heightmap to encourage that in a natural looking way? Of course as it is a fantasy game I can pretty easily do some "gods did it" stuff to fiddle heightmaps around.
I worked on this a while ago as a WIP attempt: https://forhinhexes.blogspot.com/201...own-river.html

Essentially (and especially in a procgen) you can correlate the drainage area and local slope with the width, depth, and velocity of your river. That can then give you an idea of how navigable they are by considering the types of river vehicles available (flat-bottom barges vs ships etc).