Thread: A Wild Nerd Appears!

Guild Apprentice Facebook Connected flyenemu's Avatar

Default A Wild Nerd Appears!

Fellow enthusiasts,
    Greetings and good morning to you all! While perusing Reddit (/R/mapmaking) I found several links to your community, and decided it would be wise to begin this chapter of my hobby here. Before I divulge a bit more about myself, I would like to thank each of you for this opportunity, and express my excitement in learning this art with all of you. Now, in a rather lackluster fashion, here is a bit about me:

• • I am an avid gamer, and enjoy video games (Legend of Zelda, Dark Souls, Final Fantasy), jigsaw puzzles (framing them is fun), board/card games (Munchkins, Battleship, Cards Against Humanity), and above all table-top RPGs.
    • • My favorite hobby is Dungeons and Dragons (15 years playing, 8 years DM, AD&D-5E), however I am also familiar with many other systems (White Wolf, Scion, Pathfinder).
    • • Excelling in most all academics, (language arts is my worse subject, so please pardon my grammar and spelling) my father introduced me to D&D early in my young adult life.
    • • Due to my love of D&D and my upbringing to do things the correct way through careful study, I have become a self-proclaimed autodidact on the basic principles several subjects ranging from physics and engineering, to sociology and history.
    • • My current undertaking (been working on for 3 years so far) is the creation of a world for my players. I have the ideas and math to describe it, but my ignorance in more artful fields has prevented me from effectively creating maps outside the ridged guidelines of graph paper.

In closing, I welcome advice, questions, constructive criticism, and conversation on any and all subjects, and again thank you for welcoming me to the fold.

~Syd

Welcome!

I came also recently from the land of slash R slash mapmaking.

We have similar interests.

Let us make shady maps together and be careful not to OD
    Open for commissions
    Etsy

Guild Apprentice Facebook Connected flyenemu's Avatar

My Swedish Acquaintance,

It is quite a pleasure to be greeted so kindly by a fellow member of the Reddit guild. No longer do I feel alone and adrift in a sea of unknown mapping possibilities, hoping to find my way before exhaustion rips me from my goal. I must confess, that I spied on your file before replying, and I must agree to your conclusion regarding the mutual interests we share. Lovecraft's works have inspired me in many of my works with aberrations, but, (not to sound like an ultracrepidarian) I find his style to be akin to Poe with a sever problem with pleonasm. I would be delighted to share this journey with you, as it is always wise to traverse the unknown with good company.