Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
Since the map is already going to be quite busy with all these millions of hachures, I think I agree with the two-tone green idea.

Others may have better ideas, though
Thanks Mouse... I have to try with two-tone green, but I think the difference of tone must be very subtile : after all, it's a map and not an illustration, so if I want to stay coherent, I have to use method that are used for maps

Quote Originally Posted by J.Edward View Post
Ooooh, this is looking nice JO
Yeah, top down maps do present you with many complications not present in perspec and iso maps.
I am not sure what I would do if i was doing those style mountains.
Have you checked what was done for old maps that did use that style?
Maybe there is already a style you could utilize for trees.
Thanks J. ... Actually, I have looked a lot of map, that's why I used plain green, like on this one :
Click image for larger version. 

Name:	etat-major-1000x288.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	111.6 KB 
ID:	97655
And that's why I tried the B solution too :
Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rixensart_ferraris_village.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	128.6 KB 
ID:	97656
Though I'm very aware that there is a huge difference of scale between my map and those exemples..

Quote Originally Posted by Falconius View Post
I like b of those three. I'm not sure why people have a problem of using clear symbols in top down maps simply because they are profiles. If realism was, for some reason, a concern you'd never see the trees at all. I hate to break it to people but satellite photographs aren't that interesting until all the details get cleared up in the form of a map and you can see what you are looking at. I used to have this big Alberta province resource atlas and they did stuff like B a lot. It works fine. Where it gets troubling is if there is too much interference with other detail, which is why that atlas had like a hundred pages.
Thanks... maybe the B solution is the less bad solution ? I'm not completely convinced. But your words sure helps to make a decision... As the examples above shows, tree symbols are often used on plain green surfaces to indicate woods

Quote Originally Posted by snodsy View Post
I like just the green area, two shades would work also as you stated, and not a tree profile. I've seen conifers show as a spiral. I agree with John on looking at old maps, also maybe LANDSCAPE DESIGN symbols might spur an idea?
Thanks Snodsy ! I'll definitely look in Landscape Design