Thread: Little Details Really Matter

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Guild Novice

Discuss Little Details Really Matter

I know this is probably an obvious thing to say, but taking time to do what seems like a small thing at first can make a huge difference, an example being this map. I never really looked at the difference between the before and after shading on my maps but I think it looks significantly better! Just curious, do any of you have some cool little details that people can use to make their maps look really good?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170710_160036.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	2.33 MB 
ID:	97542  

Guild Novice Facebook Connected

Wow, KittyCool, yeah the shading improves it a lot, and you did a really good job with it. It definitely changes the look though. I wonder if the style of shading has a big role in the genre of map created. For example if you were making this map for a kid's novel versus a D&D game how would you do the shading differently. I don't know myself, I'm not as good in the artistic theory department of map making, so if you have any ideas that would be cool!

To respond to your question, I find adding little bits of art instead of generic map icons can go a long way into world building. For example adding a shield and emblem for a city rather than a dot or diamond. An emblem with a cross on it, for example might signify that that city is a religious hub as opposed to a city whose emblem is a hide shield with two spears behind it. A more tribal horde like civilization maybe? Anyways, just my two cents.

Guild Novice

First, thanks for the compliments! And I'm sure the type of shading can greatly influence the map, although I think I'm a bit too much of an amateur to know how to make different shading styles work =P Buuut, if I were to do this for some kind of kid's novel instead of a very serious map, I think I'd simply make the outlines darker in general instead of shading, and make all of the details on the map much more cartoony instead of psuedo-realistic!

Oooh yeah! I love maps that do that! I need to try doing that some time for a map I'll make in the future! Another thing I love, to add onto what you said, is when people draw out points of interest, like a mysterious tower or a cave in a mountainous region. Also, those little sea monsters that some people draw :3