Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Black Sails Bay

Guild Master Facebook Connected - JO -'s Avatar

Map Black Sails Bay

Hello !

Here is a map of a part of the world of Nossym ... A sensitive region, at the crossroads of several important trade routes ... and thus a region disputed between different kingdoms, which, weakened, finally gave way to the pirates . Here is a (bad) translation of the explanation on the map:

From as far as we can remember, Maredale and Cluses have always been at war. The war for control of trade between the North and South of the continent, between Alycrau and Aylesdeen, the fabulous capitals of the Empire.
    The Merchant Pass assures the controlling party a comfortable income in the form of taxes and rights of way.

Not content with controlling trade between East and West, the city of Cluses quickly wanted to get rich by taking possession of the islands of the Passe Marchande.

Maredale never allowed this and the war raged on both sea and land for over 100 years. A century later, no one won. The islands of the merchant pass were ravaged by the conflict, the towns and villages destroyed, leaving only a field of ruins in front of two armies each too weakened to gain the upper hand over his opponent.

That's when the pirates arrived ...

Deserters, brigands, former fishermen and artisans of the islands of the Passe, without jobs and impoverished by the war. All of them eventually came together under the command of fallen captains. Groups formed and clashed, eventually forming only four clans.
    Hidden in forests, creeks, rivers and defiles, they escaped the weakened armies of Maredale and Cluses, and eventually took control of the Pass.

For merchants, the only solution now is to stop at Maredale and to transfer the goods to the twin city, built in haste to protect the port of the north. Alternatively, go through Cluses and try the long and dangerous bypass of the continent through the north and south passages to Aylesdeen or Alycrau.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	La baie des Voiles Noires 15.jpg 
Views:	299 
Size:	10.64 MB 
ID:	96890

Thank you to all those who helped me to realize this map with very good advice ... You can follow the thread here

And now... to the next map...

Looking good, JO! You've come a long way since the first map you posted, it's been a fun ride so far seeing your progress.

I like this a lot. It has a clean and simple look to it, it's clear and very easy to read. The colors are harmonic. And I always appreciate worldbuilding in addition to a map - this seems like a very interesting setting. I love that city sitting there between the landmasses!

The only thing here that somewhat bothers me is that the cities don't have shadows while the forests and mountains do.

A fine map, I'll certainly rep you if I can.
    Homepage | Instagram | Facebook | Artstation
    Just give me liquorice and nobody gets hurt.

An excellent map with a distinctive 'Jo' flavour and quality about it. I just love your attention to detail!

My new favourite map of yours, Jo

Quote Originally Posted by Kelleri View Post
    Looking good, JO! You've come a long way since the first map you posted, it's been a fun ride so far seeing your progress.

I like this a lot. It has a clean and simple look to it, it's clear and very easy to read. The colors are harmonic. And I always appreciate worldbuilding in addition to a map - this seems like a very interesting setting. I love that city sitting there between the landmasses!

The only thing here that somewhat bothers me is that the cities don't have shadows while the forests and mountains do.

A fine map, I'll certainly rep you if I can.
    Thank you very much Kelleri, you're right for the shadows of cities, I should have thought about it. In any case, your words gave me great pleasure, especially since I see mostly the flaws of my work and I do not feel much progress!

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    An excellent map with a distinctive 'Jo' flavour and quality about it. I just love your attention to detail!

My new favourite map of yours, Jo
    Thanks so much Mouse ! This card also has a Mouse's flavour : you helped me realize it and move forward when I was stuck!

I think I already repped the map in the WIP, if not, tell me, it's too good not to be repped !

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasR View Post
    I think I already repped the map in the WIP, if not, tell me, it's too good not to be repped !
    Yes, you already did ! thanks for the rep and most of all, thanks for your kind words !

Quote Originally Posted by - JO - View Post
    Thank you very much Kelleri, you're right for the shadows of cities, I should have thought about it. In any case, your words gave me great pleasure, especially since I see mostly the flaws of my work and I do not feel much progress!
    I feel you, brother... It is hard to see value in your own work at times, more often than not it does take others to point it out. But that is the telltale sign of a true artist, is it not? If you just looked at your work and thought "this is perfect, damn I'm good!" what would there be to aim for in the future? An artist looks at their work and says "next time I can do even better!" and thus, they improve.

... if you'll excuse me for going all philosophical on your ass here
    Homepage | Instagram | Facebook | Artstation
    Just give me liquorice and nobody gets hurt.

Quote Originally Posted by Kelleri View Post
    I feel you, brother... It is hard to see value in your own work at times, more often than not it does take others to point it out. But that is the telltale sign of a true artist, is it not? If you just looked at your work and thought "this is perfect, damn I'm good!" what would there be to aim for in the future? An artist looks at their work and says "next time I can do even better!" and thus, they improve.

... if you'll excuse me for going all philosophical on your ass here

You are quite right. It is better to keep a critical eye on one's own work ... but one should not let oneself be won over by discouragement and give up ... a difficult balance to find.

I hope that on your side you also advance on new maps and that you will soon admire your work, which I always find excellent!

Lovely work on this. The towns may be may favourite bit, though it's hard to choose! It looks fantastic.
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast