Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Copyright on maps?

I think you have noproblem in making for free , but if you sell a print may be you need a permission.

Guild Journeyer

Who's to say what edition of the game the map is for?

You could map a map of the FR for 5th edition that is for the year 1374DR. Yes that is a year covered in the previous editions, but that year still existed in the current 5E timeline (~1492)

As long as you don't list it as 2E content, I don't think this would be a problem, but, they do have a link you can email them at and they (One Book Shelf) does seem to be pretty responsive with emails.

Necroing this thread.

So if I understand correctly, as a general guideline:
    as long as you are not making any money, while it is still a copyright infringement, it is usually tolerated to create fan fiction.
    It's only when you are selling the art that you are definitely crossing the line.

If you want to avoid possible legal actions, it is safer to contact the copyright holder before starting the project.

The general guideline is that it really depends who you are ripping off from, and what you are doing with it. And that if you contact the copyright holder they will certainly say no unless the holder is an individual, in which case it'd be a good idea.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345